Your Help Needed

Guest Elton

Guest Elton

This is a serious post from me for a change.

As some of you know, despite the costs of licences and other associated website costs, my actual hosting costs have been 'gratis', due to a relationship I have with the company hoting all of my sites.

However, I have recently been informed that this will have to change soon.

For the technically minded out there, this site transfers around 5 gigabytes of data per month, and rising, and, with a monthly log file, occupies about 0.75 gigabytes of server space eek.gif

We're looking at a cost of £100-£150 per month here.

There are two ways I hope to raise this:

1. Merchandise - is there anything with the Anglers' Net logo, large or small, that you would be prepared to buy if it was available? I once bought a load of t-shirts because people said they wanted them and still have some left, so omly reply if you mean it, please! smile.gif

2. Advertising - I do get some revenue from advertising, but working long hours full-time in a 'real' job, this isn't a great deal. If anybody out there has trade contacts and seriously thinks that they could sell banner advertising on a commission only basis, then please email me on elton@anglersnet.co.uk

The reason for posting this here is simple - Anglers' Net will not change. I refuse to let people 'buy into' it for that reason. Believe me, people are interested! We have a good site here that has come about through the people who frequent it - I'm not going to let that be ruined.

Tight lines and thanks in advance,

Elton

------------------

Anglers' Net

Keeping It Virtual...

Hi Elton

I have been trying to get hold of you for a week!

You know me, never can refuse a plee for help! (don't tell Steve Pope that though:eek smile.gif

I have a few ideas & don't mind helping out trying to get some advertising etc. Also would like to speak to you ref; sweatshirts etc.

Will email you shortly as I am just about to type out the raffle results, so I need you to put it 'somewhere' when you get it as it will be to big to go here.

lyn

Guest Elton
Originally posted by lyn:

Hi Elton

I have been trying to get hold of you for a week!

lyn

Oops! I was supposed to call you, wasn't I? frown.gif

I'll just run off and hide now...

ttfn,

Elton - Sorry!

------------------

Anglers' Net

Keeping It Virtual...

Guest poledark

Hi Elton, I'm not ignoring you on this , justneed to get the old brain box working. As I understand it you need to raise a steady income of about £180/month (to cover the growth in the future)

I spend a fiver aweek on the lottery and get s*d all back so what about a "raffle" with very small prizes.

I dont know the number of regulars you have but could I suggest a once a year payment, not compulsory of course as that would deter new posters, of about a fiver?

Tricky one this, could all go pearshaped. I'll give it some thought, but if it is any help I for one would be happy to "donate" £5 per annum.

[This message has been edited by poledark (edited 04 March 2001).]

Guest mpbdsnu
Originally posted by poledark:

I dont know the number of regulars you have but could I suggest a once a year payment, not compulsory of course as that would deter new posters, of about a fiver?

Tricky one this, could all go pearshaped. I'll give it some thought, but if it is any help I for one would be happy to "donate" £5 per annum.

[This message has been edited by poledark (edited 04 March 2001).]

DITTO.

Guest fisherking
Originally posted by mpbdsnu:

DITTO.

Me too Elton.Since I don't buy the weekly fishing rags anymore and get all my fishing reading off the net(Mostly Anglers Net)afiver is bugger all.Count me in.

John. smile.gif

Guest waterman1013

Elton

I suggested to you at Kempsey that these costs must be starting to run away and that you needed to get something in place to be abkle to continue.

I can't be certain, but given that you have hosted the SACG pages for so long, and presumably will host the SAA pages in future, I think it reasionable that SAA subscribe something towards those costs. I'll discuss it with a few people and see what can be done.

I do think that all of us who use this site regularly should be subscribers, in one way or another. But I don't think a lack of subscription should bar anyone from participating. We need all the views possible to build strong cases and to see what anglers are thinking.

Perhaps the extra revenue raised at fish-ins could help as well?

Mike

Guest Darren Wilson

Elton

We know how you feel mate.

The Carpers Lodge transfers over 7Gb per month with over 375,000 individual page requests a week. Our limit on our hosts is only 3Gb per month, and we get heavily stung by the host after we go over it. On average this costs us around an extra £90 per month on top of what we pay already.

Hard game this Website work and most visitors don't understand how much really goes into it, behind the scenes.

Guest Elton
Originally posted by Darren Wilson:

Elton

We know how you feel mate.

The Carpers Lodge transfers over 7Gb per month with over 375,000 individual page requests a week. Our limit on our hosts is only 3Gb per month, and we get heavily stung by the host after we go over it. On average this costs us around an extra £90 per month on top of what we pay already.

Hard game this Website work and most visitors don't understand how much really goes into it, behind the scenes.

Try these people:

http://www.wyenet.co.uk/

Tell them Elton who owns sea-angler.org sent you.

They host more angling sites than any other UK ISP and will be a lot cheaper.

All the best,

Elton

------------------

Anglers' Net

Keeping It Virtual...

Guest Darren Wilson

Thanks Elton.

I have just compared their pricing and it works out more expensive than what we are currently paying, unfortunatly. This year is going to be the hard one mate.