Your Help Needed

Guest Elton

Guest Keith

Elton,

that's the key - if you can work up a DIRECT DEBIT arrangement, I will certainly chip in - and I suspect I won't be alone.

With a DD arrangment, you won't have to ring the money out of people, and in common with many folk, I wouldn't miss a few quid a month paid like that.

------------------

Yours,

Keith

Blyth,

Northumberland

Guest fisherking

Elton just to let you know.A lot of the people in this country since Mr blair arrived have been excluded from things such as direct debit accounts ,checque accounts and even business accounts.I am one of these people due to no fault of my own.Actually the reason is because I have never applied for credit.Even if you have a healthy savings account you have not a chance of one of the other type of accounts.

John.

Guest Martin Salisbury

Sorry to put a dampner on things but I don't think a subscription basis would work just yet.

If I had to stump up £5 a month then I'm sorry I'd go and post elsewhere (and I even write for this site)

There is a definite future in the internet but I don't think that many are going to make a financial killing yet. Just look at some of the big boys who have failed.

If anglersnet was to charge £5 then I would look at it rivalling something like Carpworld. I'm sorry but AN doesn't have nowhere near the level of content and writers as a magazine such as that does. Nor does it have as many big name writers.

If I had to subscribe to a members section then i would expect it to be FULL of stuff to get my money's worth.

And this would then exclude some of the passing or infrequent visitors.

Realistically, how many would subscribe to the service and how many would depart to 'waters new'?

The way to go is advertising and so hopefully Elton with our assistance can keep the site going until its own popularity supports itself.

Martin

Guest Graham E

Martin, your views echo mine.

Except I do believe that selling could add another dimension to the revenue potential.

ie. End lines of tackle.

Guest fisherking

If anglersnet was to charge £5 then I would look at it rivalling something like Carpworld. I'm sorry but AN doesn't have nowhere near the level of content and writers as a magazine such as that does. Nor does it have as many big name writers.

Sorry Martin but I have been on the net a good while now and have not heard of this site you speak of nor will I bother looking at it if it is pointed out to me as I am not single sighted.My fishing takes in a lot more than Carp sitting and I think that I speak for the majority of people who make this site what it is.

John.

Guest poledark

DD's can be arranged for monthly,quarterly and half or yearly. I pay my club subs yearly and cant see any problem with paying a yearly sub to the "Anglers net ONline Fishing Club".

Help us with some figures Elton, but 12x£200/month is £2400,

. Divide by 200 and it works out at £12.00 each ONCE a YEAR.

I am sure it could be set up with safeguards for both sides, after all if you shut down then we stop paying, so we would have nothing to lose. Sorry to have to say that but It will come up at some time I expect.

For my own part I assumed that you did at the very least cover your expenses and would have no objection to you making a profit.

(not to much though biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif )

As for what do we get in return it is hours of very cheap entertainment, I am still laughing at the Velcro joke,

Guest Elton

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, which are much appreciated.

Here's where I'm at:

1. I'm concentrating on getting new advertisers, so please support them by, at least, having a look at their sites from time to time. You generally find that internet advertisers are working hard for their trade and often offer that little bit extra, so it's worth your while smile.gif

2. Big name writers - we will have more 'named' writers here. There are quite a few here already. I'm in a catch 22 situation, as they can cost money, but attract it to! Martin, it's not that difficult to attract certain named writers with a cheque book - the ones on here write because they want to write and they're good smile.gif

3. Merchandise/Stock - this is being investigated further. Trouble is, I need to be set up for credit cards if I'm to do it properly. HSBC asked me for a proposed £50k turnover. After I stopped laughing, i said 'no way'. They're going to get back to me wink.gif

4. Members' Area - great idea, but what do I put in it? Also, you have to bear in mind that a DD costs 35p to process, a cheque 60p etc frown.gif I run a Collectors' Club for a living, so it's not out of the question, but it'll take a while to come up with a proper plan yet.

5. I have another couple of cunning plans that won't be divulged here biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone - your thoughtfulness and loyalty to Anglers' Net is touching. I've said it before, though - you are Anglers' Net.

Tight lines,

Elton

------------------

Anglers' Net

Keeping It Virtual...

Guest waterman1013

Elton

All the card acquisition companies want big turnovers. Do what everyone else does, lie about your expectations. Once you are signed up all they can change is the service percentage.

If you talk to most of the big ones you can them play them one against the other for the best short term deal and if they get prammy later over lack of turnover go to another.

Mike

Guest davidP

There are verious online credit card companies around now, PayPal is the one that springs to mind. This service is used extensively in the settling on online auctions and the like (ie Ebay). I haven't looked into them extensively but I think originally they were planning on being a free service, and they would make their profit by earning interest on the money between receiving payment from the buyer and settling up with the seller. No idea if this is still the case, but it's certainly free to the buyer, and it's certainly pretty popular or Ebay.