Real Reel advice

ga-rat

Guest Wilko 09
Most of the SHIMANO reels I had watched previously ended on a bit more money than I wanted to spend. <_<

The Hyperloop has a BIN of £16

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You hav'nt told us what you want the reel for or what rod you intend to pair it with.

Some of the reels you have been watching are quite different to one and other and not particularly suited to the same jobs.

Sorry, the reel will be going onto my Shakspeare Powerplay 12ft feeder rod, also an old Silstar rod, I will be doing a bit of float, feeder, ledgure fishing.

so far I really fancy the WYCHWOOD ROGUE FREESPIN 50 FISHING REEL WITH BRAID, it comes with 12lb Wychwood braid on the spool, I have seen this for about £18 with P&P. It looks like a good solid reel. I have seen the braid for about £6 on its own...

I may just go for it as I don't want to miss out. Doubt there's anyone up at this time of night to give me advice.. :(

Ah well !!! What to do!!!

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

The spec of the Wychwood Rogue 50 is:-

The Wychwood Rogue Freespin Carp reel is built using the latest RTx composite technology and with machined aluminium spool and over-sized main gears, the Wychwood Rogue Freespin is a serious piece of kit at an amazing price.

Designed for the rigours of modern specimen fishing, the Wychwood Rogue Freespin series is ideally suited to carp pike and catfish applications.

The Wychwood Rogue combines a rugged, solid build quality with five silky smooth bearings.

The infinately adjustable front drag and rear freespin enables the reel to be fished from minimal resistance to 'locked-up'

Perfect complement to Wychwood Rogue rods.

Features

5+1 ball bearings

Wychwood SMS reel balancing

Spare spool

Folding Handle

M10 Alloy spool

Line safe lins clip

Mega bail arm roller

5.2:1 gear ratio

I know it says its suited to carp, pike, catfish etc. but that means it should be ready for when my skills/knowledge/demands grow.. Doesn't it ?? :huh:

Hi ga-rat,

Welcome to Anglers Net,

For the past 3 plus years I have been field testing a lot of tackle - mainly rods and reels.

I have already posted 12 rod tests on my website and am typing up more along with reel tests of reels centrepins and fixed spools.

Although the Dragoncarp range of products has had some bad press I have not found this to be justified in my opinion.

Others have already said that you get what you pay for and this is as true in tackle as it is in cars or whatever.

I personally do not like shimano reels but it is a personal dislike rather than one based upon anything else.

I recently purchased a fixed spool Mitchell reel from a seller on ebay. The reel which is getting up to 50 years old and I think it is a far better reel than many new ones and it is a type of reel that I have used over the years (57/58 years) to catch just about every species in the United Kingdom.

If you buy a secondhand reel download details of how to service it and service it or get it serviced at your local tackle shop before you go out to use it just to make sure it is less likely to give you any problems when you are out fishing.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Oh dear, what have I done?

Stuck in a moment of nostalgia whilst looking for a second hand reel on ebay, I bid on this....

Its a Silstar R710 special match reel, bought for a bargain price of £15.40 with postage. (link below)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...T#ht_500wt_1156

I missed out on a nice ABU GARCIA CARDINAL 5BB COURSE FISHING REEL(link below). ah well.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...#ht_1379wt_1141

I always liked Silstar though, I could only ever afford a Silstar FX40 (ahhh :( ) reel which I still have along with my Silstar Ledger rod.

Why not save a extra few quid and get a shimano alivio 2500, there are plenty at around £20 ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-Alivio-2500R...c9#ht_500wt_715

i have one and i am very very very very, happy with it, :D

but on a bad note <_< they dont have a spare spool, but they are easy enough to obtain through ebay at a fiver.

i have one spool loaded with 4lb(float) and the other with 6lb(feeder) :P

Oh dear, what have I done?

Stuck in a moment of nostalgia whilst looking for a second hand reel on ebay, I bid on this....

Its a Silstar R710 special match reel, bought for a bargain price of £15.40 with postage. (link below)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...T#ht_500wt_1156

I missed out on a nice ABU GARCIA CARDINAL 5BB COURSE FISHING REEL(link below). ah well.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...#ht_1379wt_1141

I always liked Silstar though, I could only ever afford a Silstar FX40 (ahhh :( ) reel which I still have along with my Silstar Ledger rod.

Hahaha! Something which I think most of us have done, I certainly have and I have been silly enough to pay over the odds for what I wanted.

But on the bright side you have something that you always wanted so it cant be bad.

However now find and download service details and perhaps a schematic of the reel, give it a good service and you should be as happy as a child at Christmas.

However now find and download service details and perhaps a schematic of the reel, give it a good service and you should be as happy as a child at Christmas.

I have tried doing a google search for any info on the Silstar reel, but as of yet I have found nothing! Do you have a particular website that you get your service details from, or, is it just that the reels you buy and use are more popular so turn up easier on google? :huh:

I have tried doing a google search for any info on the Silstar reel, but as of yet I have found nothing! Do you have a particular website that you get your service details from, or, is it just that the reels you buy and use are more popular so turn up easier on google? :huh:

Tried ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Silstar-Schematics-Fis...D-/270733594781