Canal fishing help?

MotherHen

Hi all,

I'm looking to go to my local canal tomorrow and see what I can pull out. It's the Grand Union in a small village in Northampton called Bugbrooke. It's at most probably 30ft across and no real features apart from the odd bush on the far side. Last time I went here I was on the float and all I managed to pull out was small roach and crayfish!! I was using corn and bread and look to do the same this time but thinking about using the feeder, is it worth it? There isn't too much boat traffic, 3/4 an hour at most so it isn't really a problem. I'd like to get some bream, possibly tench and if there's any carp in the area then I wouldn't say no but any tips from you canal experts out there would be appreciated. Should I fish in the main channel or far shelf or where?! I'm a real novice when it comes to getting decent sized fish out of a canal.

Thanks!

MH

Hi what time you going?

it may be worthwhile calling in heyfords and getting some maggots.

fish around 3/4s of the way across so your bait is at the bottom of the main track just where it starts sloping up.

and just keep trickling bait in.

Theres alsorts in the area tench,bream and carp

from experience i dont tend to particulary target any of them and fish for what turns up.

if you use groundbait i start with 3 tangerine size and egg sized ball after each boat or 20 mins which evers first (guarantee its the boat during the day)

Look for far bank cover over hanging bushes etc rather than the plain bank sections.

I might pass by and see how your doing.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Hi what time you going?

it may be worthwhile calling in heyfords and getting some maggots.

fish around 3/4s of the way across so your bait is at the bottom of the main track just where it starts sloping up.

and just keep trickling bait in.

Theres alsorts in the area tench,bream and carp

from experience i dont tend to particulary target any of them and fish for what turns up.

if you use groundbait i start with 3 tangerine size and egg sized ball after each boat or 20 mins which evers first (guarantee its the boat during the day)

Look for far bank cover over hanging bushes etc rather than the plain bank sections.

I might pass by and see how your doing.

Hey, thanks for the response mate. Looks like I'm going on Monday now instead though. Probably best as apparently tomorrow it could hit 28degrees with bright sunshine lol.

I've got groundbait and a few GOT baits pellets from when I went Heyford last week so I'll probably use them :) Any idea on which areas of the canal fish well around here?

Thanks.

MH

I would strongly recommend grabbing some maggots for the first session. It will enable you to catch anything in the swim and give you a good idea of whats coming out. Plus unlike bread ect: you should find the bait will stay on the hook much longer, especially if considering feeder fishing (Which works great on every canal I have tried)

I would always recommend fishing the margin on either side. If the canal has concrete/metal sides it can be worth fishing literally 4-6'' from the bank as Large Perch love this area

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

I would strongly recommend grabbing some maggots for the first session. It will enable you to catch anything in the swim and give you a good idea of whats coming out. Plus unlike bread ect: you should find the bait will stay on the hook much longer, especially if considering feeder fishing (Which works great on every canal I have tried)

I would always recommend fishing the margin on either side. If the canal has concrete/metal sides it can be worth fishing literally 4-6'' from the bank as Large Perch love this area

Okay cheers, the sides are straight into the ground by the way and quite muddy and if I'm honest with you mate I've never really liked perch, not sure why! Maybe the time I was cut by the dorsal of one when I was 6 or so... :angry:

Thanks for the tips anyways, always appreciated.

MH

I dont tend to go round your bit on the few times a year i fish the canal i fish the "running water" area near braunston tunnel.

Great for bream and carp there.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.