Ireland-venues to visit

Howard 13

Hi all, I'm coming to Ireland on Friday for a weeks fishing. I'm arriving in Rosslare and plan to just do a tour for the week doing somewhere different everyday.

Could someone give us a few hotspots to fish as we don't really know where we're going. We don't want to plan it too much as we want a bit of a mystery tour but a rough idea of a route to take would be great.

All the best.

Howard.

sounds like a gd week!!

id go u to lough derg, its the only place ive fished but its amazing, go inot ballina which is above limerick and go 2 the tackle shop, TJs. he will tell you were is fishing in the area. it will be either bream fishing on the lough or tench and roach fishing on one of the smaller loughs.

gd luck mate

Thanks Sam, last time we visited we did actually fish Lough Derg. We stayed in Portumna and fished a few venues nearby, including Lough Derg.

We might end up heading for there again, not sure.

Do you know anywhere in-between?

Cheers.

HB.

the lakes of the east clare are in between and the river scariff. also there are a few more fishing towns on the lough derg, again ask tj and he will point you in the right direction. whats portumna like? i fanC having a go up there next year.

SAMTENCH:

whats portumna like?  

We had a a good time there. Fished on the Shannon for the first couple of days which was pretty dissapointing to be honest. We were catching skimmers and roach which was 'OK', but we wanted a few slabs.

We then moved onto a place called Friars Lough(through a recommendation of a landlady) and started to get a few decent bream and half tidy roach on the pole. The first day I probably had 50lbs of fish but got less the next day then less again the next day.

We hired a boat to go out on for the fourth day and went to the other side of the lough where there was loads of lillies. We had a few slabs from over there but I reckon if you pre-baited over there you would sack up.

Fished a few other places nearby and lost a half tidy tench at one of these.(can't remember what they were called off the top of my head, somewhere near a canal, not far)

All in all I know I could catch more fish in a week where I live in Somerset, but at the end of the day, a week away in Portumna is worth it.

There is a 'bit' of nightlife in the town if you like a beer or two, and afterall there's more to a week in Ireland than fishing.

Go for it! :D

Howard.