Trent 14/08/11

emaze

I went on the Trent again to see if I could replicate the success I had a couple of days earlier and to some degree I did.....

I had Five Barbel and Three Chub and a big lost fish on meat. Again on arrival I found the water was lower than that of the two days previous so I decided on fishing the same tactics as I did on Friday. Small hooks and long hook lengths, however for some reason, even though I had constant knocks and pulls the fish were less obliging and definite bites were hard to come by. I decided that I would combat this by going onto an even smaller hook a size 16 Animal hook and this led to better results. On the other rod I persisted with worm and meat, this caught me a good chub of 5Lbs (ish) and one Barbel and a bigger lost Barbel with a size 10 SSC Fox Arma Point hook. I had most of my fish on the size 16 hook and long hook lengths so again it tells me that fish are there but are difficult to tempt so small hooks and longer lengths of hook length are the order of the day when faced with these conditions.

My Brother did not manage many but on last knockings he had a 11Lbs 4oz Barbel (pictured) on his hair rigged Pellet and size 10 hook with a 10Lb Fluorocarbon hook link but only managed one Chub besides. My results although all Barbel were smaller were much more in quantity and I know it's down to my methods and the way I feed and how often I feed Barbel. My Brother was lucky as he dropped it down the side and it was there so it took it (not jealous, seriously I am not, well maybe a little) maybe should give him more credit it was a lovely fish. Although all the lessons and telling in the world will not work in regards to getting him to hold the fish correctly. I learnt all this in France when Carp fishing and it makes a big difference to how the fish is presented and how big it looks.

I didn't catch anything big again up to 7Lbs 8oz but very enjoyable all the same and many more fish than anyone else on the stretch which people or other anglers were quite bemused by and it led to them coming over and asking what I was doing and what bait I was using. Funny that they asked this when I had a T-Shirt on from 'Comic Carp' stating on the back "Don't ask what bait I am using....I am just that good!!!" but it never seemed warm enough to take my fleece off to reveal my T-Shirt and would have warned people off I am sure, lol.

So to say I am chuffed and got this place sussed would be understatement and I honestly believe that another big double is on the horizon, I just hope it's when I start my article part 5. I am out again on Friday so I will be updating my blog again on Saturday when I will have time to write about events. I am now experienced and knowledgeable enough about Barbel behaviour to catch these fish on the Trent whatever the conditions I feel. I just hope I don't live to regret those words.

Check my blog for pics in my sig or here:

http://ricky2912-myquestforbarbel.b...4082011.html

Thanks for reading.

Ricky

What stretch were you on ? dare i ask.

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Thanks mate.

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

I went on the Trent again to see if I could replicate the success I had a couple of days earlier and to some degree I did.....

I had Five Barbel and Three Chub and a big lost fish on meat. Again on arrival I found the water was lower than that of the two days previous so I decided on fishing the same tactics as I did on Friday. Small hooks and long hook lengths, however for some reason, even though I had constant knocks and pulls the fish were less obliging and definite bites were hard to come by. I decided that I would combat this by going onto an even smaller hook a size 16 Animal hook and this led to better results. On the other rod I persisted with worm and meat, this caught me a good chub of 5Lbs (ish) and one Barbel and a bigger lost Barbel with a size 10 SSC Fox Arma Point hook. I had most of my fish on the size 16 hook and long hook lengths so again it tells me that fish are there but are difficult to tempt so small hooks and longer lengths of hook length are the order of the day when faced with these conditions.

My Brother did not manage many but on last knockings he had a 11Lbs 4oz Barbel (pictured) on his hair rigged Pellet and size 10 hook with a 10Lb Fluorocarbon hook link but only managed one Chub besides. My results although all Barbel were smaller were much more in quantity and I know it's down to my methods and the way I feed and how often I feed Barbel. My Brother was lucky as he dropped it down the side and it was there so it took it (not jealous, seriously I am not, well maybe a little) maybe should give him more credit it was a lovely fish. Although all the lessons and telling in the world will not work in regards to getting him to hold the fish correctly. I learnt all this in France when Carp fishing and it makes a big difference to how the fish is presented and how big it looks.

I didn't catch anything big again up to 7Lbs 8oz but very enjoyable all the same and many more fish than anyone else on the stretch which people or other anglers were quite bemused by and it led to them coming over and asking what I was doing and what bait I was using. Funny that they asked this when I had a T-Shirt on from 'Comic Carp' stating on the back "Don't ask what bait I am using....I am just that good!!!" but it never seemed warm enough to take my fleece off to reveal my T-Shirt and would have warned people off I am sure, lol.

So to say I am chuffed and got this place sussed would be understatement and I honestly believe that another big double is on the horizon, I just hope it's when I start my article part 5. I am out again on Friday so I will be updating my blog again on Saturday when I will have time to write about events. I am now experienced and knowledgeable enough about Barbel behaviour to catch these fish on the Trent whatever the conditions I feel. I just hope I don't live to regret those words.

Check my blog for pics in my sig or here:

http://ricky2912-myquestforbarbel.b...4082011.html

Thanks for reading.

Ricky

Yes I thought the Trent fished well at the weekend 6 hours fishing on Sat evening had 6 Barbel smallest 6lb and 2 9's to 9.12 and 2 big 4 lb chub. Sunday evening fished 7.30 to 11.30 and had 5 more to 10.02, smallest being 6lb and one chub about 4 1/2. Full moon but cloudy and very mild. All on heavy gear size 6 hooks and big boilees.

Great stuff, where did you fish, would love to get into some of those mate.

“Vescere bracis meis”