Casters

Guest lofc

Guest lofc

I have been wondering if it would be possible to hasten Maggots turning in a controlled way by using a heated propagator, if by keeping them in a fridge retards their natural process maybe it could work in the reverse way.

This is only going to be possible with the owners(wifes)permission which could be doubtful after the mess the Coffee grinder got in when grinding up Trout pellets, if I get the go ahead I will report back with my results or has someone tried before?

Cheers

lofc

Guest Adrian

I was told that overheating maggots to turn them results in a number of thin, pointed casters. A greenhouse propagator only provides a modest temp, so I cannot see a problem.

Having said that, home made casters are a pain, they do not all turn at once and it takes more than a pint of maggots to make a pint of casters.

Cheers, Adrian

Guest bart4real

Hi, I already use a system for speeding up the process from maggot to caster and it does save time. My system works much the same as an egg incubator which consists of a wooden hood with a 100w light bulb in the center. This is placed over the top of the maggot tray and left on. Be sure to dampen sawdust which the maggots are in. This way you get better formed casters, more rounded than shrivelled. White maggots are better for turning as the additive in coloured bait prevents them forming into perfectly oval shaped casters.

Try it yourself - it works!

Originally posted by Adrian:

I was told that overheating maggots to turn them results in a number of thin, pointed casters. A greenhouse propagator only provides a modest temp, so I cannot see a problem.

Having said that, home made casters are a pain, they do not all turn at once and it takes more than a pint of maggots to make a pint of casters.

Cheers, Adrian

Guest DerwentBob

Of course the best way to ensure that all your maggots turn to casters overnight is to postpone a fishing trip from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning having bought your bait on Thursday evening...

Postpone a trip for two more days and I can go fly-fishing biggrin.gif