It feels weird!

Guest Steve Burke

Guest Steve Burke

As several of you know I've been retired for a little over a month. It's not the first time I've taken early retirement, but this time I mean it! The fact that I said that last time has nothing to do with it whatsoever!

I'll continue to write articles, and I've started a new perch book. Plus I'll still be doing reviews and helping Elton when I'm able to. However, I'm not a natural writer. Some days the words just flow, more often I have to to really concentrate.

The only "work" I'll be doing is running my gravel pits at Wingham. I don't consider this work (it certainly doesn't pay well!)as it's a labour of love and I combine it with a little fishing (tench at present).

However, enforced retirement feels weird. It's O.K. when the weather's nice and I can get outdoors. On the other hand, I'm still somewhat disorientated when the weather keeps me cooped up inside.

Has anyone else been in this situation? If so any comments or suggestions?

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest Elton

Oh, Steve,

How I wish I could be in your position, but, obviously, not for the same reason. I have so much I want to do in life, but like most, by the time I have a chance to do them, I'll probably be too old frown.gif

Get out and fish, tell us what it's like and make us jealous. You never know, you might spur a few of us on into retiring, too smile.gif

All the best,

Elton

------------------

Anglers' Net

Keeping It Virtual...

Guest Steve Burke

Elton, I'm not complaining!

As I've mentioned before, if I'd been told years ago what my lot in life was to be, I'd say "gimme, gimme!"

I'm happilly married and I've got one of most beautiful fisheries around. There's not much more I could ask for. It's just that as a workaholic, retirement is going to take getting used to.

Isn't life a bitch! smile.gif

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

Guest Scott

Hi Steve, why dont you take up a fishing based hobby, spend your days when the weather is awful spend your time making tiny lures for perch.

A few years ago I bought a drill powered lathe for making pike lures when the weather stopped me from going fishing.

Scott.

Guest Vagabond

Remember Parkinson's Law Steve. I didn't retire until I had to (by law - ageism or what?) at age 65 two years ago. Since then I've been so busy fishing/teaching grandchildren to fish/travelling that the time has flown by. I was never as busy as that at work !

I look forward to each new season as keenly as ever, but logic tells me each opening day is one less to come, however, fishing, even on a cold wet windy day, sure beats pushing up daisies in the cemetery on a fine one - enjoy it while you can ! smile.gifsmile.gif

------------------

Vagabond

Guest Umber

Steve, I know the feeling. I keep thinking I should be doing something. FM has not helped but at last my club has lifted the ban on part of its waters so things are looking up. biggrin.gif

You are right it does feel weird, just a case of getting used to it I suppose.

Guest doc_tench

Hi steve

Good luck to you mate you have worked hard for it and now reap the rewards!

I have read some of your articles on perch and they were supurb.

Go and write a book and i will be first inline to buy it

Chill out!! enjoy the family and write that book smile.gif

Guest Steve Burke

Many thanks indeed for all your good wishes.

It's not boredom that's the problem - I've a 101 things to do. On reflection I think in fact it's the change of pace that's making me feel disorientated. I've no deadlines now, and I've always achieved most under pressure.

I can now also do whatever I want, pretty much whenever I want. Despite working very hard in the past I've always had the luxury of being able to arrange my work so that, although I didn't fish for very long, it was always at the best times.

When I flirted with retirement before, I spent a lot of time fishing that winter. However, by the end of the season I was going

fishing only twice a week, the same as when I worked full time. Believe it or not, this is all I needed!

At the moment I'm going only twice, a week. However, the sessions are longer as the tench are feeding between dawn and breakfast time with the odd fish coming out around dusk.

I've got into a routine of bivvying up and fishing from 8.30 to 11 in the evening. My rods then come in (I never actually fish overnight, for me night is the time for sleeping), and I'm fishing again from 4 until 10 or 11am.

I find these early starts pretty tiring and so twice a week is enough. However, even without much spawn the female tench at Wingham are *averaging* around 7lbs and still growing - so it's well worthwhile!

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

Guest Leon Roskilly
Originally posted by Scott:

Hi Steve, why dont you take up a fishing based hobby, spend your days when the weather is awful spend your time making tiny lures for perch.

A few years ago I bought a drill powered lathe for making pike lures when the weather stopped me from going fishing.

Scott.

Er, If Steve starts doing that, I can guarantee that there will be a new lure making multinational springing up in Wingham, within months! smile.gif

Tight Lines - leon