Government's viewpoint on angling?

Guest Mark Cunnington

Guest Mark Cunnington

I recently sent an email to my local Labour MP asking him his and the Labour Party's viewpoint on angling. He, incidentally, voted to ban fox hunting. Below is a cut and paste of his email reply. Perhaps now is a good time to bombard your MP with similar questions, there's nothing better than an election to focus their brains, especially if they feel they might lose/gain votes. I know words are cheap but at least you may have some sort of commitment, like I have, in black and white for future use, should we ever need it.

Don't get confused over the two names, the Michael Foster I wrote to is the member for Hastings and Rye.

Mark

29 May 2001

Dear Mark

RE: ANGLING

Thank you for your email of the 22nd of May, requesting information on Government policy towards anglers.

I assure you that the Government have no intention of banning any form of angling. You may be interested to know that my colleague Michael Foster, MP for Worcester, who introduced the original anti-hunting bill, is himself an angler.

Even in the unlikely event of such a ban being proposed, I would not personally vote for it and I think very few would.

Thank you for contacting me and please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Best wishes

Yours sincerely

MICHAEL FOSTER

Guest Graham E

Well he obviously hasn't read that well known angling book/s the Syndicate 1/2 where all the debauchery of modern day carping is brilliantly and humourously described. If he had read it, all forms of waterside activity would cease.

Now tell me Mark..did he? because |I read the last chapter late at night...and I would have!!

Guest Mark Cunnington

Graham

I guess that was the whole idea of leaving the end ambiguous, so that each individual reader could then have his/her own interpretation of it, as you have. I'm afraid I'm never going to resolve the question that you ask because I think it's more fun the way it is at the moment, and that includes in the upcoming Syndicate 3, whenever I get round to doing it!

Sorry to other posters who have no idea what that was all about. I suppose you just have to read the books! (Advert)

Guest Martin Salisbury

I got a very similar reply from my Labour MP.

He also voted for the banning of fox hunting but said he would not support a ban on angling

Martin