new member - Severn river info needed

jack99

Hi all,

Just a bit of an intro about myself as I'm a new member and want to get some posts in. I do all types of fishing but mainly course specimen fishing for all species. I live and fish mainly in Cumbria but travel a lot as fishing in Cumbria's pretty poor other than for Pike or Roach (get good numbers and good sizes of both on most of the lake district waters, hard fishing sometimes though due to the size of the places!)

Am travelling down to Bridge North for a week's river fishing on the Severn last week in September. Appreciate it's a bit early in proceedings for advice but if anyone can give some info on clubs that give access to good areas it'd be well appreciated. Looks like Birmingham AA has some good waters?

Welcome to Anglers' Net Jack.

I'll move this to the coarse section so more people can have a look and hopefully know an answer or two for you.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hey Jack, I'm a BAA member and have fished the Bridgnorth and surrounding many times for barbel. The biggest I have seen caught is on the most productive stretch I've fished in BAA which is the R/B of Arley near Bewdley. Day tickets can be bought from the tackle shop in Bewdley and 99% of the time you are guaranteed to catch on pellet. The other 1% however is now as there is very little water in the river which makes it very clear and turns the barbel off feeding. Had my first ever blank the other day on the Arley stretch simply down to the water level and clarity. As far as Bridgnorth goes, under the bridge is probably the best stretch for big barbel, personally seen them up to 12lb here but saw a 14lber caught from the Arley stretch. Pellet is definitely the best bait for all of the BAA venues I've fished for Barbel. Good luck.

Hey Jack, I'm a BAA member and have fished the Bridgnorth and surrounding many times for barbel. The biggest I have seen caught is on the most productive stretch I've fished in BAA which is the R/B of Arley near Bewdley. Day tickets can be bought from the tackle shop in Bewdley and 99% of the time you are guaranteed to catch on pellet. The other 1% however is now as there is very little water in the river which makes it very clear and turns the barbel off feeding. Had my first ever blank the other day on the Arley stretch simply down to the water level and clarity. As far as Bridgnorth goes, under the bridge is probably the best stretch for big barbel, personally seen them up to 12lb here but saw a 14lber caught from the Arley stretch. Pellet is definitely the best bait for all of the BAA venues I've fished for Barbel. Good luck.

Hey, thanks a lot for the info, hopefully the water levels will be up in a couple of weeks, I'll definately give that stretch a good look over. How are the still waters in the area just in case the rivers not on form? have done a bit of investigating on line and it looks like you've got a good bit of variety down that neck of the woods.

Hey, thanks a lot for the info, hopefully the water levels will be up in a couple of weeks, I'll definately give that stretch a good look over. How are the still waters in the area just in case the rivers not on form? have done a bit of investigating on line and it looks like you've got a good bit of variety down that neck of the woods.

Well it really depends what you're interested in. Shatterford fishery (http://www.shatterford.com/) has some big cats and carp in their specimen lakes (also seen pics of people catching sturgeon but not sure if they're still there), also a runs water there which I've never fished. Furnace mill (http://www.furnacemill.net/)in the Wyre Forest is good fun but nothing big, a nice place to spend the day though. I fished Poole Hall in Kidderminster once a few weeks back and that was quite good catching fairly decent sized carp off the top. I have heard of Kingsnordley fishery being good but never been. Nordley lakes under BAA day ticket are fun IF the sun is out and the fish are on the top, otherwise its still good but not the best. Hope this helps.

Well it really depends what you're interested in. Shatterford fishery (http://www.shatterford.com/) has some big cats and carp in their specimen lakes (also seen pics of people catching sturgeon but not sure if they're still there), also a runs water there which I've never fished. Furnace mill (http://www.furnacemill.net/)in the Wyre Forest is good fun but nothing big, a nice place to spend the day though. I fished Poole Hall in Kidderminster once a few weeks back and that was quite good catching fairly decent sized carp off the top. I have heard of Kingsnordley fishery being good but never been. Nordley lakes under BAA day ticket are fun IF the sun is out and the fish are on the top, otherwise its still good but not the best. Hope this helps.

Thanks again MotherHen, will let you know how i get on!