Lincolnshire Drains

Ed_P

After living here 2 years i've finally found out that the miles and miles of drains aren't worth fishing on! they hold the nationals every year and the top catch is usually about 70lb -fair enough 2nd place is about 5lb! hundreds of anglers fish these drains year in and year out, i've so far seen 4 bream best 8lb-my dad!!! about 100 eels-biggest 2oz!!! loads of perch and roach biggest 3lb-me! (hehe) but back to my point theres supposed to be loads of monster bream/tench even a few chub. We get the local papers and the angling times every week to see how there getting on but eveytime we go we get about 2lb each. does any 1 know how to fish these drains???? espesially Boston!

Ed Pearce

thanks

I know that in the Peterborough area, big catches are made at the start of every season by anglers who take the trouble to drag out swims and prebait, usually for several days. The other essential thing is to fish either all night or at dawn until about an hour after sunrise. Any other time and you might as well cast out onto your front lawn. I've often been carp fishing on the North Bank of the Nene, when the number of tench and bream about at dawn and dusk has to be seen to be believed. The bream will often pick up double boilies, when the matchmen are trying to tempt them with pinkies. I was once tempted to shine a torch into the margins when I kept hearing splashes (I was casting to the far bank at the time). The water in front of me was absolutely heaving with bream that were feeding on bait that had fallen short, yet an hour after sunrise it might just as well have been a swimming pool in front of me. I think a few match anglers would really have their eyes opened if they fished through the night.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

hi ed

i,ve fished boston waters for the best part of 10 yrs now and i,ve always found the pole to be very productive on the trader between stone and trader bridge also the west fen can be very good at the golf links on the feeder just near the point i tend to use red maggot fished over a bed of hemp and brown crumb on a size 18 or 20 hook but it depends which way the drains are running at the time as they can be very finicky also give the hobhole a try at lade bank thats usually quite good about a month into the season

let me know howq you get on and if you fancy a trip out one day give us a shout on my email and we,ll work something out

tight lines mate

is good to be back to be back

Sounds like you know the area well then!!! ui've only lived here for 2 years but the club i fish for is called haltoft end, you heard of us? do you know of thornhouse lakes??? by the golf club???

no i,ve not heard of thornhouse lakes but i know haltoft end i usually fish the hobhole just down from there or swandyke lane there are a couple of good lakes in and around the boston area that i quite like to fish. but for the next month or so you,ll probably find me on the witham at kirkstead or tattershall bridge you,ll have to sendme directions for thornhouse and i,ll have a look one evening

tight lines mate

is good to be back to be back

Been down today, all i got was a 2lb eel, roach, perch and 1 bigger tench, (4lb) its by the golf club, there a white house before the enterance, go down there lane and your there!