'Bait bans'..good or bad for our sport!

Guest whizzokev

Guest whizzokev

This question is mainly directed at the match anglers amongst you..but in some ways effects us all. Are bait bans good for our sport and our trade! many commercial fisheries have the most elaborate rules restricting this or that bait and seem to apply a misguided logic to most of them..they may argue that it is their property so they can do whatever they want, but by the same token the paying angler may one day say enough is enough and go elsewhere. Obviously I have a vested interest in people being able to use groundbait, but even so, as an angler I do genuinely feel that we are all being dictated to by none angling/landowners who think that watercraft is a posh name for a boat!

Originally posted by whizzokev:

This question is mainly directed at the match anglers amongst you..

How about an ex match angler? smile.gif I have never agreed with bait or method bans unless they are for the welfare of the fish.A lot of bans make me really angry.A recent trend in the match world is too ban the latest sucsessfull method developed by an angler on his local carp puddle.I am sure that we can all think of many.I always disliked the bans on bloodworm and joker.Both of the reasons given for the ban were very hard IMO to swallow.Any one can collect their own "red men" you don't have to buy it! Also how can you possibley get fish preocupied on some thing that occurs naturally any way? See what I mean?Its a load of pants.Also look at the Carp related bait bans,jeez I feel sorry for the Boys.Psudo science,ignorance and jealousey apear to lead to most bans.

Budgie,

Another reason why it sounds daft to ban something because it costs money is that they then offer cash prizes for winning confused.gif

Elton

------------------

Anglers' Net

Keeping It Virtual...

Some one told me Bloodworm is often banned because it is the lavae of Mosquittos (sp?) Which bite and spread malairia (sp?). It sounds like a good reason to me, if this happens?? confused.gif To be honest i don't know how big a problem that is?

What are joker the lavae of?

Bretty smile.gif

Sorry for all the question marks and spelling mistakes there!!

Bretty.

I think the jokers are the larvae of something like a gnat, smaller than a mozzie.

The reason bloodworm and joker are banned is that they are a very successful bait, especially on hard canals. They are also quite pricey, which squeezes out the non sponsored angler. I believe anglers without the ability to either collect or buy the bait were giving up on matches where bloodworm and joker ruled. I read one debate where it was mentioned that a sponsored angler could turn up with £100.00 worth of the worms.

The price issue is very relevant, on some fisheries, especially commercial carp venues, anglers can get through a hell of a lot of bait. Those who cannot afford to compete may go elsewhere, so the attendance falls and the organiser makes less money.

I think bait restrictions can be justified on the grounds of water quality and fish health. I have known waters where heavy groundbait use has caused a horrible scum to accumilate. I also noticed an oily film in the windward margins of a couple of stillwaters where large quantities of pellets were being used, co-incidence?.

Cheers. Adrian