you asked for it - t.b

Guest phonebush

Guest phonebush

Lee,

Sometimes, because of the conditions (I know I don't need to keep rubbing that in) it is very easy to catch carp freelining with hookbait of about any sort.

Procedures we see posted on AN, in Carp mags., and just about are generally learning experiences to attain the desired results.

For example, In the US I guess what goes around eventually comes back around. Used to be, 40 long years ago, what is now called a "bolt" rig was popular here on the Missouri River because it insured a high hook rate for commercial catfish meat fishermen. Then, the sporting thing became freelining, or as near as possible which "required more skill" on the anglers part and therein was the challange. Now, the sporting thing seems to be a "bolt" again although I am at a loss to know why. I'm sure time will reveal all.

I try to have as much variaty in my armory of tricks as possible without possibility of intentionally harming the fish.

Phone

Guest Newt

Lee - a bit of add-on to what the Phone posted.

Some US carpers use boilies but very few. Most of us who post regularly on the carp.net bbs do as do most members of CAG (Carp Angler's Group) and probably a few others. This is a very TINY minority of US carpers but to heck with them. I'll take all the ideas I can get.

One thing to bear in mind when talking boilies for use in the US - our carp have never been "taught" that some of your more exotic offerings are food so we have to stick to things that are somewhat "natural".

The exact same issues that started boilie use in the UK does apply over here. Soft baits get nibbled off the hook or hair by tiddlers. So, yes, we do use them and will be doing lots more in the future. Not only for carp but for channel catfish and some for blue catfish. Flathead catfish pretty much require large lives or occasionally deads.

A suggestion if you have time and are willing. Boilie info - especially from a Barbel angler - would be great on the carp.net bbs as most of the members do not ever look at "over the pond" boards. I know Elton doesn't mind me giving the carp.net bbs a plug as he has helped us lots in the past and that board is in no way competition for this one.

You will probably also enjoy looking at the home pages of some of the bbs members. Oatmealjack has one that is absolutely brilliant IMO as do a number of others. Lots of great pictures. Mostly lean common carp as mirrors and leathers are not usual in the US/Canada and ours don't have the luxury of sucking up tons of bait left by anglers so they normally stay more lean than the UK/Euro fish do.

If you want to take a look, the url is http://carp.net/home2.htm. We have some UK and SA regulars and some folks you will recognize from this bbs.

Guest trent.barbeler

Newt and Phone,

I used to own a bait business years ago when I used to sell bait mixes and additives to my carp angling customers.

As a result, I am pretty well up on this type of bait. I am sure that I can give you American carp anglers some ideas for formulating a boilee type bait that will be effective for carp not educated on boilees.

I will post some information directly to your personal e-mail addresses.