Stourport fishing

manse

The mother in law (yes we do like each other :D ) has just brought a caravan in Stourport right next to the river.

Having spent the weekend there i'm really looking forward to trying fishing the Severn but after numerous walks along the bank and reading the brand new just put up signs on every other tree saying its BAA water i could only find 3 fishable pegs from around 15.

The rest are so overgrown its impossable to fish without taking a machete to the nettles and other weeds to reach the peg at the bottom and with my 14yr old son in tow i couldnt find 2 pegs close enough to keep a eye on him.

The one guy i found fishing said that the BAA hadnt touched it for around 2yrs when they used to have work partys clearing them just before the season started.

On the caravan site virtually all the guys i spoke to fish and where very friendly and helpfull but all said they didn't fish the river because there's around 5 pools within 5 - 10mins drive, Could this be the reason the river is left untouched ?

It cost £3 a day for a BAA pass and £4 for the nearby pool.

So i'm left wondering. What are the rules to say if i was to cut some weeds/brambles back and a bailiff happend to walk by seeing me (just to sit down and castout).

I'm not against paying the BAA even though im told the opposite bank is free fishing but my box is heavy enough allready with out strapping a machete to it or playing David Bellamy when i want to go for a quite few hours fishing .

:confused:

From the B.A.A. handbook rules governing Contest Permits :-

" Where it may be necessary, clubs are expected to clear pegs of light growth prior to commencement of contest"

So I see no reason why you should not do the same, I have many times, but don't go lopping trees all over the place.

I think you mean Lickhill, if so I know just what you mean about the pegs, but most of the work is done on a voluntary basis, also don't forget the F&M episode didn't help much when the banks where out of bounds for months.

If we are talking about Lickhill, the opposite bank is also B.A.A. water.

Have a look here http://www.baa.uk.com/

[ 17. September 2003, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: Nugg ]

A few minutes with a machete, or even better a strimmer and you can clear a choice of pegs. Once they're cleared they should be low maintenance to keep clear as well if you're there regularly, and other people will probably start using them as well.

The problem for clubs that own miles and miles of river is actually getting people on the banks to do work parties. They'll all turn up at the easiest and most popular venues, but sometimes stretches only get done if one or two people are particularly keen to fish them. This is one of the fundamental differences between commercial and club fisheries. On commercial fisheries you are paying them to provide you with a usable peg and fishing. With clubs however you're only paying them to provide the fishing. If you want them to guarantee a usable peg as well then you'll have to be prepared to pay a lot more so that they can employ maintenance people. Best thing to do is invest a little time in making what you want for yourself - it'll be time well spent.

[ 17. September 2003, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: davidP ]

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.