flavors/adatives

Guest teepee

Guest Steve Burke

I've posted this before so apologies to those long term members who've already read it.

I used to be very sceptical about flavours, believing them to be of use only as far as covering up human smells (yes, we smell to animals!) or those of sun tan lotion, mosquito repellant etc. However, Archie Braddock did a chapter for us in "The Book of the Perch" and eventually we got talking about flavours. Or rather Archie talked and I listened!

To cut a long story short, I'm now convinced that flavours can help no end in catching fish. In fact, these days I wouldn't use maggots for instance without flavouring them.

What finally convinced me was fishing on a commercial stillwater. I fed one flavour to my left and another to the right. The first area produced nearly all roach with the odd perch. With the second it was the other way round. Nothing special in that you say, and I'd agree.

However, I then switched the flavours around. The different species of fish followed their favourite flavour!

Since then I've used flavours, usually Archie's, a great deal. For instance, Archie's Perch Magic liquid, especially in conjunction with his Xotic powder, has been extremely productive for perch. Friends fishing adjacent swims and using other flavours or none at all haven't caught as much despite being good anglers.

The last two summers I've done very well on the Carp Lake at Wingham using maggots dipped in Archie's peach flavour. Interestingly, this has caught me a very much higher average size of carp compared with sweetcorn.

The corn wasn't flavoured, so did the big carp prefer maggots or was it the flavour they liked? I intend to try flavoured corn this year to find out. In fact, the tench at Wingham are now full of spawn and I don't like catching them then. So I'll be switching to the Carp Lake this week. I'll let you know what happens.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest teepee
Originally posted by Graham E:

For the first time this year I have added aniseed to my paste mix for barbel.

The trouble is the carp like it so much that I have caught 4 between 12-17lb on the rivers when the norm is 1 per year!

Cheap and effective.

hi Graham last year a friend of mine was doing well on a local venue where we had matches every monday it was a total mix fishery and he won several matches and framed catching skimmers and small bream useing aniseed flavour on his maggots, he used just plain brown crumb in the feeder and 2 to 3 drops of aniseed to 1 pint of maggots, funnily enough they called him Graham could be a good allround flavour or does it work just for Graham's, i think he only used it because he liked pernoid hic!

------------------

teepee

Guest Newt
Originally posted by teepee:

hi Newt, don't worry about the speligs ups! who cares as long as we understand whats been said, anyway what do you catch with those flavors.

Catch mostly carp and the occasional catfish (US Bullhead & Channel cat which like most baits) using the various flavors. Strawberry seems to be a real favorite. Vanilla also. Anise mixed with most flavors in small amounts (from the flavoring section of your grocery store - near the vanilla usually).

Something else that seems to work well here for more than one species is to soak corn in hot sauce for a while.

I can't help you much with fish other than carp as it is the only fish my area holds that you have over there. I'm too far south for pike, zander (walleye), trout, and have only the occasional perch. Barbel, bream (UK style), rudd, and the others just don't exist over here.

Guest Steve Randles

Two references by posters here to Archie Braddocks Flavours and Additives...this then is the third...

They certainly are the best in my book, and Archie has made a complete science out of it.

It was his flavours that landed the Lake Bream record at Wingham for me and also my first Barbel this season.

However what I have found to be strange is how every angler has his/her own favourite combo, then when you try that for yourself....you blank!!! Archie again has the answer for this I believe and it lies in the chemical make-up of the venue and the flavours effectiveness to cut through the water to the fish.

Recomendations: As Steve has said Xotic spice and Perch Magic will catch you Perch...or there are no Perch in the water.

Floral surprise is highly rated by Bob Nudd, but I have fared miserably with it.Sweet magic is the one for summer and Hot Magic will slay Chub in the winter..Spice Surprise caught me my first/only Salmon and Grayling...on the same day.

But dont forget the supermarket shelves either, there are plenty of additives and flavours there for you to try. From Cumin and curry powder to molasses and syrup. The only limitations are your imagination.

------------------

Tight Lines,Steve Randles

Anglers Rest

mailto:Anglersrest@go-fishing.co.ukAnglersrest@go-fishing.co.uk

Guest big tinca

Scopex is the king of additives!

------------------

Happy Tenching.

Big Tinca.

bigtinca@hotmail.com

Guest teepee
Originally posted by big tinca:

Scopex is the king of additives!

hi big tinca, i'll second that out of all the flavours/additives i've tried i've had the most success with scopex, do'nt get me wrong i'm not a specimen man, i try things more on the match type venues,when i prepare pellets i'll use scopex flavoured water to soften them and also in the paste, but with more & more anglers now using scopex i'm looking for somthing different you've got to be 1 step ahead, another one i've had good catches with is banana flavoured pellets & paste for match size carp, coconut in your g/bait and maggots is brilliant for skimmers,but there's somthing about trying somthing new we should have a monthly posting of who's caught on different flavours? we could call it flavour of the month what ya think!

------------------

teepee