Coarse Fishing In Guernsey

Paul_D

Is there any...???? My wife is thinking about taking a job there but the (possible) lack of any Coarse Fishing is giving me serious doubts. Still there's the Sea Fishing I suppose..... :confused: :confused:

Paul

Guernsey has some extremely strict residency rules - even stricter than Jersey I believe. I'd be very careful to check you could actually live there!

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Thanks for that DavidP. It's very early days as far as the job goes but didn't know anything about the residency rules. There is supposed to be accomodation provided (it's for a Teaching Deputy Headship) so I don't know if that has any bearing on our elegibility....I really don't fancy this move at the moment and the loss of my fishing here in Yorkshire really will influence my decision to move if it ever looks like the job is on.

Paul

Most of the reservoirs on Jersey have fishing in so I'd be surprised if the Guernsey ones didn't as well. I found two potentialy useful contacts though :

Found this on http://www.coarse-fishing.org.uk/clubs.htm :

Guernsey Freshwater Anglers Society

A Bradley

Les Tracheries Cottage

Les Tracheries

L'Islet

Guernsey

Also this on http://www.where-to-fish.com :

States of Guernsey Department of Fisheries, Raymond Falla House, PO Box 459, Longue Rue, St Martins, Guernsey GY1 6AF, tel: 01481 35741 (35015 fax).

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Thanks again....

Paul

If I lived in Guernsey even I would forsake coarse fishing, the sea fishing is marvellous. Just look at the UK record lists and count how many are held by the Channel Islands and you'll start to get the picture. The high rise and fall of the tides, coupled with rocks which do everything possible to take apart commercial fishermen’s nets, means that the islands hold enormous stocks of fish. The coast-line also offers great opportunities for close-in but productive fishing. If after all that you still feel nostalgic to use light fresh-water gear, go down to St Peter Port harbour and fish for the mullet, they are there in profusion and to a size which would make English mullet adherents such as Leon Roskilly very, very envious!

The Channel Islands are a small but lovely environment, as has been pointed out though you will have to check out what housing is available to you. If you fall into the "non-resident" category with no help from your wife’s prospective employers, then you can get accommodation through buying into the "open market" area of housing but it is very expensive.

Regards

Chris