What is a waggler?

Guest NineteenthMonkey

Guest GlennB

It's attached at the bottom end only, so you can sink your line and avoid surface drift caused by the wind. It's mainly a still-water thing, but folks do use them on flowing water. Trouble there is that "holding back" a waggler on a river causes it to sink, so it's a fairly advanced technique ( for me anyway ).

Guest Keith
Originally posted by GlennB:

Trouble there is that "holding back" a waggler on a river causes it to sink, so it's a fairly advanced technique ( for me anyway ).

That's one of the answers regarding choice though; if you're going to need to hold back on a river, then generally you'd use a stick.

You can hold back to an extent with a waggler, but they're really much better at running through at the speed of the current.

Wind direction's the other factor: a stick is best with an upstream wind - it makes line control much more effective, as the wind helps push your line behind the float - but in a downstreamer most anglers can't control the line effectively - I know I can't smile.gif - and it's very difficult to keep the line where you'd want it to be to manage a stick properly.

So you'd use a waggler instead.

A thick tipped (no insert) waggler is usually the thing for a river, because the buoyancy of the tip counteracts the float being dragged under by the bottom; and gives some holding back options.

------------------

Keith

Blyth,

Northumberland

mailto:keith@go-fishing.co.ukkeith@go-fishing.co.uk

http://www.wacacnet.co.uk

[This message has been edited by Keith (edited 01 July 2001).]