Cheap centrepins?

Guest limestone

Guest Keith
Originally posted by limestone:

I've been very happy with my old Lewtham 'pin, bit like a cartwheel, but spins forever.

Yep, apart from a bit of questionable quality control, they're hard to beat for the price - I'd forgotten about 'em in my earlier comments.

The only thing I have against them is that the handles aren't removable (a very personal thing, but important to me).

------------------

Keith

Blyth,

Northumberland

mailto:keith@go-fishing.co.ukkeith@go-fishing.co.uk

http://www.wacacnet.co.uk

[This message has been edited by Keith (edited 01 July 2001).]

Guest Graham E

Right I have read the reveiw by Martin. Bit concerned about the possibility of the line wrapping around the handle.

The Browning might be better in this case especially as it is lighter and 4".

Question. Is it good to have a line guard? Does this prevent Wallis Casting.

If I had 100 to 200 to spend, Which reel would best to begin with and last / stand the test of time.

Just looked at the JWYOUNG site. PuristII??

Help.

[This message has been edited by Graham E (edited 01 July 2001).]

Guest fisherking

Mr Roes "old" Adcock Stanton which I now have.

Slightly changed as I do not like handles.

John.

Dscf0001.jpg

Guest Keith
Originally posted by Graham E:

Right I have read the reveiw by Martin. Bit concerned about the possibility of the line wrapping around the handle.

The Browning might be better in this case especially as it is lighter and 4".

Well, both the Relum and Browning have got the same number of handles, so the problem will be the same for both of 'em! wink.gif

Luckily they both have removable handles (a better option than taking a Black & Decker to them, which is what I had to do to my £200 Shakespeare Ariel!)

Question. Is it good to have a line guard? Does this prevent Wallis Casting.

I wouldn't have one on a reel to save my life - but some people love them. They stop batting to retrieve more than they hinder Wallis casting, (though this depends a lot on the size and position of the line guard, obviously).

If I had 100 to 200 to spend, Which reel would best to begin with and last / stand the test of time?

Just looked at the JW YOUNG site. PuristII??

This is a real "how long is a piece of string question! The right answer for you might be utterly different to my ideal - it's too dependent on personal preference and the kind of fishing you want to do.

I love the reels I've mentioned elsewhere, but (for example) couldn't use a John Wilson Masterline/Young's signature model to save my life: he's obviously pretty happy with it though!

Best of luck in the search..!

------------------

Keith

Blyth,

Northumberland

Guest Alan Roe

Graham If you were to be spending between 1 and 2 hundred pounds take a look at my review of the Browning Revolver on Paul Selmans Fishing Warehouse site. http://www.fishingwarehouse.co.uk in the shop there they do them for £188 which is a bit of a bargain..

Guest Graham E

Thanks Alan. Tried to order it but declined my card for some reason????????

Maybe Paul can let me know why by email?

Cheers

Graham

Guest martin@tryangling

Hi Graham

If you can afford to spend £200 then my choice would be the Purist by J W Young.

Let me know before you buy one as I can probably get you one cheaper!

Days fishing on the Kennet (Wasing estate) is still on offer.

Guest Graham E

OH Martin. You were 5 mins too late. Just re tried and this time OK?

I am lucky that I can fish Crookham now and again. I would have been interested in a bargain but Alan's advice is always sound also.

Ref FWarehouse site.

Entered the competition on the site only to find it ended on the 16th June.

For PSelmans info, when you register there is no link to continue with the purchase and you need to go back and start again.

Site is a bit glitchy.

Thanks everyone for info / advice.

2 months now on the cricket pitch to Wallis!

Graham

Guest Allan

I use a Swallow centre pin 41/2x7/8ths no line guard because I wallis cast, and the handles are removable, it spins like a dream. Very reasonable priced at £145+ p&p. smile.gif

Guest Keith
Originally posted by Alan Roe:

Graham If you were to be spending between 1 and 2 hundred pounds take a look at my review of the Browning Revolver on Paul Selmans Fishing Warehouse site. http://www.fishingwarehouse.co.uk  in the shop there they do them for £188 which is a bit of a bargain..

...which is also where you can get the Revolver's little brother the Rotator, for £80.

------------------

Keith

Blyth,

Northumberland