"I'm having one of those days!!!"

Guest matt_shaw

Guest matt_shaw

I bet that got your attention, but no, its not about that time in the year when your wife/girlfriend feels particularly irritable. biggrin.giftongue.gif No, this thread is about those days on the bankside when nothing goes right. Yes, we all have em from time-to-time.

I wonder if you guys are like me and can sense when you are going to have these bad days as soon as you arrive at your peg?

Few times i have knocked bait boxes ito the drink full of bait and even managed to tread on pole sections. To me thats a bad day. Lets hear it from you guys so that i can have a laugh at you biggrin.giftongue.gif

------------------

Happy fishing

-------------

ECO Timber Panals, Lodge Farm Industrial estate.

The Eco-lodgic, Eco-nomic choice on wood

Tel.(01604) 759222

Guest Newt

My second worst day I think was when I backed my trailer into the water and floated the boat out. Tied it up and went to park my truck. Came back and discovered I'd forgotten to put the drain plug in prior to launch. Glug, glug. It was fine by the next day after drying out but no fishing that day.

Worst was when I ate a rock with the motor - propeller got lots smaller in a big hurry. I was too far away from my launch point to get back with the trolling motor. Fished for a few hours until someone came by who gave me a tow. Oops - never mind. I caught fish while waiting so other than the cost of a propeller, that wasn't such a bad day after all. smile.gif

Guest Allan

oh yes, I walked over a mile to my swim started to tackle up only to find I had left my reel in the car.

So back I went to get it only to find on my return,that it never had a spool on it. eek.gif

Guest Pete B1

While fishing on the Lower Severn a couple of seasons ago, in a swim where the bank was some 10 feet above my head, I became aware of a shadow over me. I turned around to see a herd of cowes standing on the top of the bank.

As the bank was nearly vertical I was concerned that the bank might collapse, so I shouted, yelled but to no avail. So the only thing was to ignore them and they would go away. So I returned to my fishing.

Then it happened, "thruuuuuuuup" from above my head just behind me, between me and the steps out of the swim. If you have never heard a cow break wind above your head let me tell you it is not a pleasent experience.

I looked up to see the cow's tail lifting and realised I had no way of escape, the cow covering the steps to the rear and twelve foot of water to the front. I got as far away from the inevitable as I could, but not far enough. I had to drive home that day with the windows open and it took a week to get the smell from the car.

Guest Elton

Yeuch! Pete, that's gross!! biggrin.gif

I've had a few bad experiences. I remember catching a pike on a lure right near my feet. As many lure anglers will know, if you get them in straight away like that, then they can be a bit lively. That's fine, until the 'spare' treble on the lure gets caught in your hand and your fingers end up centimetres away from a mouth full of sharp teeth and a thrashing body. "Flipping heck", or words to that effect, could be heard for miles around smile.gif

My best one was probably the day I fell in.

There's more to the story than just that. See, the thing is, it used to be a standing joke that whoever went fishing with me fell in. Ask Leon wink.gif So, when I did it, I had to do it in style.

Here I am, walking across a plank of wood over a ditch. Quite a deep ditch, too. There were two planks of wood and my friend before me only used one of them. I thought I'd use both. I mean, having that heavy rucksack on my back meant that I could do with some additional space to 'balance'.

Clever idea of mine to 'balance' on that rotton plank.

Everything then went in slow motion for me. The plank snapped and I tumbled. Luckily, the rucksack was only over one shoulder and fell off quickly. I managed to throw it to my mate.

After frantically scrabbling around in fear of my life, I realised that it wasn't deep enough for me to drown. However, it was Winter and the temperature kind of led me to thinking that, perhaps, it would be warmer to not be chest deep in a water-filled ditch.

Picking himself up off the ground, after falling down in fits of laughter, my mate Charles dragged me out. Charles is a small bloke and I'm a fatty. Oh, and clothed in layers of 'warm' clothing, which were well waterlogged.

Eventually, I got out. Off come the trousers and socks. I've got to get home.

I had a Renault Laguna at the time. Great car. Had a nice electronic key to disable the immobiliser. A nice 'non-waterproof' electronic key.

Luckily, I had AA cover. So, I dug out the new mobile only to find that it wasn't waterproof, either. I was so relieved that Charles had a mobile with him.

As it was, it took the AA quite a while to find me. They towed me to work, which was the nearest place, where I sat in front of a heater for about an hour, before borrowing a car to get home.

In all seriousness, it could have been a dangerous incident. Luckily, I can laugh about it now.

Tight lines,

Elton

------------------

Anglers' Net

Keeping It Virtual...

Guest RUDD

One evening last year I managed to get the hot corner peg at my clubs bottom lake.

It is perfect for fishing floating baits and is full of carp.

The only problem is an old tree trunk and branches that overhang and go under the water.

My father in law was in the corner peg directly opposite me and a friend who had given me a shimano bait runner from Canada was standing behind me having a chat.

I cast my floating crust perfectly near to the snag and feed a few freebies.

Soon there was a big carp sucking down the bread and bang! I was into it.

I was just about managing to keep it from the snag and stepped to the left, straight off the platform! I fell onto overhanging brambles and stinging nettles which suppoted me for about ten seconds until my bottom half went into the water.

I climbed out of the water still trying to play the fish while father in law and friend rolled about laughting their heads off.

I lost the fish got a soaking got stung and scratched and had the **** taken out of me.

It got worse.

I was wearing goretex boots which I had to empty of water and as I was wet I must of had every mossy for miles trying to bite me and I nver had another bite all evening!

------------------

RUDD

LATE AS USUAL