No Fishing, what can I do??

Guest Julian @ fishooked

Guest Julian @ fishooked

I've got a weeks carp fishing coming up on Birch Grove at the end of the month, and as I'm dead skint, I've had to impose a no fishing ban on myself in order to save up for bait, food and ale to last me the week.

This weekend was the fist of 4 without going fishing ..... NIGHTMARE!!

The 'cold-turkey' symptoms had set in even before I got home from work on Friday night.

I tried in vain to keep myself busy, did the garden, washed the cars, even housework!!

All to no avail, I still managed to fall out with her indoors and was a grumpy sod all weekend!

Anybody got any tips on what I should do next weekend to stop the non-fishing blues from returning?

PS - without spending ANY cash!

Julian

------------------

When the sun goes down, the bite alarms will sound!

Guest fisherking

Buy a loaf of bread 20p-£100 depending on where you shop and head for the nearest FREE water.

No need to take a wheelbarrow full of bait food tackle or even a bivvy.

I know some anglers would feel naked without all that equipment but you don't need it to catch fish or enjoy yourself.

John.

Guest Steve Burke

Idea no.1. Dare I say, it? Forget the ale on your trip, forget going to the pub in the meantime. Then with the money saved go fishing!

But if beer is more important to you than fishing..........

Idea no. 2. Don't use boilies! Or at least cut down on the amount you use. Try cheap baits like supermarket bread (20p a loaf at our local Tesco) or sweetcorn (Tesco Valueline 22p per tin), red kidney beans (Tesco Valueline just 11p per tin). Alternatively, worms cost nothing if you dig them yourself. Once again the money saved could mean an extra fishing trip. What's more you may even catch more carp!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your trip to Birch Grove. It looks as though you're going to need it!

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest Newt

In addition to worms, if you can find any rotten logs break em apart and take any larve you find. Should do well with lots of species.

Guest euan pink

don`t forget luncheon meat cat food tongue etc.they all catch carp and are reasonably cheap.

maggots are easy to get this time of year too get a fresh road kill and hang it over a large tub (preferably well out of the way)a few days before the weekend. cool.gif

------------------

ANMC FOUNDER MEMBER

SAVE MONEY ON YA FISHIN JOIN TODAY

Guest big tinca

Hey Steve,

Apart from Wingham do you have shares in Tesco?

------------------

Happy Tenching.

Big Tinca.

bigtinca@hotmail.com

Guest james barbeltench

you could download fishsim and play that thats totally free or you could go to a free water and gets some cheap bread 15p local tescos

thats what i did

thanks james

Guest Julian @ fishooked

Cheers Guys!

I'm going to visit a local water tonight with some bread and a tin of corn.

As one or two of you have mentioned grubs and suchlike, I wondered if anybody has had any joy using snails or slugs as bait, as I came across loads in the garden at the weekend!!

Cheers.

Julian

------------------

When the sun goes down, the bite alarms will sound!

www.fishooked.com

Guest TheDacer

slugs are supposed to be **** hot for Chub..

but i've never had one with a slug yet!

just get the bread on

5lb plus Chub no bother!

Guest Steve Burke

Slugs are one of my all time favourite baits for chub. I've also caught trout, pike and perch on them.

Most of these chub have come on freeline rigs, and the takes often take the rod out of your hands! You don't usually have to wait long either!

I've had equal success with small white slugs, medium black ones and giant orange ones. Just match hook size to the size of the bait. One other advantage is that slugs rarely come off the hook.

Happy slugging, or should that be slurping?

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm