tackle for floaters for carp fishing

Guest euan pink

Guest euan pink

what end tackle setup would you recommend for a half acre pit holding carp to 20 pounds.i have established they like chum mixer but can tell a hookbait with a size 14 hook.tried a boilee snowman but they got the boilees and left the hook!!!which was a size 10 any ideas? cool.gif

------------------

ANMC FOUNDER MEMBER

SAVE MONEY ON YA FISHIN JOIN TODAY

Guest tony jolley

Try the beach caster rig that was discussed not long since,

sorry I cant rememmber the thread name,

------------------

Tony B.T Jolley

Guest Steve Burke

Have you tried Multistrand or flurocarbon hooklengths? I find one of the most important points when floater fishing is the visibility of the hooklength, and most nylons are poor for this as they float.

However, if you decide to try flourocarbon I'd suggest you avoid Berkeley Vanish. Neither I nor many friends who've tried it think much of Vanish. That's a pity as Berkeley lines are usually really excellent.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest Lancs chris

Have you tried supergluing the hook to the back of the mixer, sometimes works better than hair-rigging.

Guest euan pink

chris i have tried connecting the hook directly to the mixer but no good.

will have to try flurocarbon then,have you any knowledge of the ashima line steve?

------------------

ANMC FOUNDER MEMBER

SAVE MONEY ON YA FISHIN JOIN TODAY

Guest Newt

Terry Eustace makes a multi-strand (5 I think) fluorocarbon leader that is very limp, b/s to over 20lbs if you use all the strands, and I don't think the fish can see it at all in the water. I've used it for a while now and love it. Wish I could get it over here but have to mail order from the UK.

I've had great luck using all strands to the hook and 2 strands for the hair. I've also thought of using several hairs with it. Wonder how that would work.

[This message has been edited by Newt (edited 02 July 2001).]

Guest Steve Burke
Originally posted by euan pink:

chris i have tried connecting the hook directly to the mixer but no good.

will have to try flurocarbon then,have you any knowledge of the ashima line steve?

Yes, I've used the Ashima flourocarbon to good effect, also Grand Max.

The 2 main advantages of flourocarbon is that it sinks and that the refractive index (i.e. the how much it bends light passing through it) is closer to water compared to nylon. This makes it harder for the fish to see. However, it's stiffer than nylon which, whilst an advantage for turning over fly fishing leaders, is not so good for coarse fishing.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest Gray-Catchpole

just an idea

how about using a bait band, fox do them, myelf and darrell have found them very productive, along with a surface wagler,and have had no problems using them with normal line, or am i mising something in the original post.

------------------

Email:

Guest David Johnson
Originally posted by Newt:

Terry Eustace makes a multi-strand (5 I think) fluorocarbon leader that is very limp, b/s to over 20lbs if you use all the strands, and I don't think the fish can see it at all in the water. I've used it for a while now and love it. Wish I could get it over here but have to mail order from the UK.

I've had great luck using all strands to the hook and 2 strands for the hair. I've also thought of using several hairs with it. Wonder how that would work.

[This message has been edited by Newt (edited 02 July 2001).]

Can you get this multistrand fluoro in UK? I recently used ESP Ghost fluoro (10lbs) for surface chumming on my local carp lake. I wasn't impressed at all...very very stiff and fished next to an identical rod with standard monofilament the results were 4:0 to the standard monofil. Not sure about whether the carp actually see the fluorocarbon, but watching them they certainly spooked off something when they approached the chum+fluoro line.

Dave

Guest Rob Ward

Yeah, you can get multistrand flourocarbon in the UK. As Newt says above Gold Label do one, I think Kryston do one as well.

Try the tacklebox website.