Fishing for carp in the margins

Guest matthayes

Guest matthayes

Hi, i have discovered a relativly new fishery near to were i live and went to try it last night,i had been told by other local anglers that it wasn't that good.On arrival i set up my new pole with size 10 elastic and fished the bottom (4ft) on sweetcorn,some nice rudd came in early followed by a carp to around the half pound mark,then my elastic screamed out and headed up the channel icouldent hold it and was snapped.The bailiff then turned up and told me that there was a peg down the bottom end which was on good form,so i went with him to the left in the margins were reeds upto 2feet from the bank and to the right the same he told me to set a rod up and fish about 2foot on single sweetcorn, this i did and in the next thirty minutes i had half a dozen nice size rudd, and two ghosties one 3 and a half pound and one 7lb,i wasn't to well prepared but i intend to go at the weekend apparently those reeds are a reel hotspot,can any of you more experienced anglers give me any tips on anythig from line and float requirements to feeding and groundbait,sorry to go on for so long but i want to get it dead right next time

cheers matt

Guest bart4real

Hi,

Well if you are going to be fishing in the reeds and there are carp in the pool, you are going to have some trouble there!

If you are fishing down the edge for carp, they tend to be bigger so you will need to be fishing .16 diameter (4-6lb) main line, a number 12 elastic (Preston - yellow) would be good and a fairly large hook -Kamasan Animal spades in either 16 or 14 barbless should do it. It is better to feed casters or maggots in close as it attracts the smaller fish, which in turn will atttract carp. By feeding maggot and fishing either a large piece of worm, a piece of meat or preferably corn you can then be selective as to what you hook. I would suggest fishing in open water first before tackling feature pegs like reeds. Finally, make sure you put the number 12 elastic through over 6 feet of pole sections as you don't want it through top one's or two's.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Steve Burke:

The most important thing when margin fishing (even on heavily fished waters) is not to scare the fish. Don't wear bright clothing, sit well back behind the reeds and keep out of sight as much as possible and avoid vibrations.

Guest framey

thats not bad for a water thats "no good" i wonder how many others have been told that and then bagged up?