Mitchell 300`s

Guest The Reel Deal

Guest The Reel Deal

Can they be serviced/rebuilt? I`ve got an old one(I`d hardly have a new one!) with bail arm problems.

Guest Zaphod

They always suffered from bail arms not closing, you could do it yourself. The bail arm spring assembly probably needs cleaning out and re-greasing.

I have 2 410's that need the same..!

------------------

Best Fishes

Del

--------------

Zaphods just 'zis guy, you know..!

Guest Newt

Yes. I expect to be able to get my 300s repaired/serviced well into the year 3000 or some such.

For UK locations where you can get it done, go to http://www.google.com and put in mitchell reel service uk as your search terms. It will give you a number of web sites to look at.

Guest Zaphod

Newt,

Are you immortal ??

"In the end there can be only one !!"

------------------

Best Fishes

Del

--------------

Guest Chris B

There's a guy in Southampton who repairs them and still holds spares - any tackle dealer down there should be able to help.

I never replaced my last two when they finally packed up a couple of seasons back. Nostalgia...

Bail arms falling off or refusing to close, loud anti-reverse, line that came off the spool the wrong way for casting, handles that broke - anyone else miss 'em..?

I think the final generation of 300s weren't built to anything like the standard of the older models.

Guest Steve Burke
Originally posted by Chris B:

There's a guy in Southampton who repairs them and still holds spares - any tackle dealer down there should be able to help.

The Southampton firm is Reel Care and the latest contact details I have are:

100 Kendal Avenue

Millbrook

Southamton

Tel: 023-8077-7232

fax: 023-8077-8809

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest Adrian

Chris.

A good job heretics are no longer burnt at the stake!, wink.gif .

I agree with your points, as good a reel as the 300 was in its day, it had annoying features (line getting behind the spool or under the front mounted drag).

The beauty of it was in its rugged simplicity, anyone reasonably good with meccano could have a stab at fixing one. I tried looking at the parts diagram of my Shimano and thought 'hope this never goes wrong'.

To its credit, it was streets ahead of most of the other stuff on the market 30+ years ago.

I had my Mitchell Match serviced and fixed by the place in Southampton, 'reelcare'?. Did a fine job, but cost me 30 quid or so.

Cheers, Adrian

Guest ginger

I too sent my trusty old (20 plus years) Mitchell Match 440 to Reelcare. The bale arm would not close when the handle was turned, the Match works the wrong way round in that you just touch the bale arm and it flicks open then turn the handle to close. They did cash my cheque for £23 pounds odd then lost the paper work but when I enquird they checked up and apologetically admitted their error with no further proof asked for. The reel then came back within a few days and is now as good as new. Well worth the cost of repair. If you send the reel first they give you a written quotation for the repair before starting work.

Guest Zaphod

Sounds like Reelcare for my 410's......

Does anyone know the difference between a 410 & 410a ??

------------------

Best Fishes

Del

--------------