I Just Wondered

Guest lofc

Guest lofc

I just read an article on long distance Carping and it occurred to me that I have never seen a multiplier used and I wondered why.

Having done a fair bit of Beachcasting I would have thought some of the smaller Abu`s would be ideal with their easily adjustable drag and no problem with line twist, as the blanks used can cope with increasingly larger leads would not these reels be more balanced than a great big fixed spool, you could still fish in the same fashion as a Baitrunner by using the line out ratchet.Admittedly the rod may have to be re-rung, but that would only be a minor problem.

Any explanation would satisfy my curiousity.

Cheers

lofc

Guest Elton
Originally posted by lofc:

I just read an article on long distance Carping and it occurred to me that I have never seen a multiplier used and I wondered why.

You are a mind reader!!

I was just about to ask the same, as I remember Alan Taylor (nl) sending me some pics of him carp fishing in Holland, where he uses multipliers regularly!

Can't give you any answers, but I'm looking forward to reading a few from people who can!

Tight lines,

Elton

------------------

Anglers' Net

Keeping It Virtual...

Guest RUDD

The only problem I can see with using

multipliers is that when set up on rod pod etc the reels would be upside down because of the weight of them and so that the line could run throught the alarms.

If you get a run you would have to pick up the rod, flip it over and turn the handle.

When night fishing (asleep) or if you have strayed from your peg/swim these few seconds could lose you the fish.

There is also a point I would like to point out. I have seen anglers cast out and put their rods on their stands etc, set up a bobbin and turn the alarm on and then engage the bait runner facility with the handle pointing downwards/under rod (get what I mean). The correct way to do it is once cast etc, turn the handle all the way round until you are just about to disengage baitrunner facility. Handle will be on top of/above rod

and when you get a run it saves a second or two when striking.

RUDD wink.gif

------------------

RUDD

LATE AS USUAL

Guest eelangler

A carp angler onone of my waters used small abu multipliers for a good few seasons before he gave up carp angling altogether. The water he was fishing was no more than 3 acres and had two large islands. The longest cast on the lake was no more than 60 or 70 yards with most of the fishing being done at 20-30 yards. So why use a multiplier you might ask?

His reasons were that multipliers have a far better free spool sytem than bait runners and he found that playing a fish on them was more enjoyable. It also gave him the means of casting long distances if he needed to on some of the other waters he fished.

I don't know if this is true or not and only a rod builder could tell us, but this angler insisted that to use a multiplier on any carp rod entailed re-ringing the rod so that the rings were in the same position on the blank but on the opposite side. This, he said was to do with the carbon wraps and how the rod blanks are constructed.

PS he caught a lot of carp.

Guest Peter Waller

Have raised this question before & was told it was due to the low retrieve rate of multipliers! Nonsense. In fairness I can understand carp anglers sticking to fixed spools although there is a good arguement for multipliers as has already been explained. But fixed spools for cat fish? That seems a nonsense to me. But since I don't chase carp or catfish I suppose I'm the least qualified to comment!

Guest Bridgey

It appears that overall there is not a great advantage in either type of reel. Certainly, there appear to be situations where a multiplier would be the better choice.

Forgive me if this appears a tad cynical, but as soon as a 'name' starts using and recomending multipliers, Carpers will move to them in their droves.

Guest Newt
Originally posted by eelangler:

I don't know if this is true or not and only a rod builder could tell us, but this angler insisted that to use a multiplier on any carp rod entailed re-ringing the rod so that the rings were in the same position on the blank but on the opposite side.  This, he said was to do with the carbon wraps and how the rod blanks are constructed.

True statement. Any blank, be it glass or carbon, has a natural "spine" or direction it wants to curve when under pressure. A fixed spool rod should have the rings mounted on the "under side" of the spine since the reel is bottom-mounted. A multiplier on the other hand is mounted differently and the rings need to be on the "top side" of the spine so that the natural curve is directly away from them.

A fly rod should be ringed like a fixed spool rod.

If you have a rod that does not handle right in that it is awkward to cast or tries to twist when you are playing a fish, chances are excellent the rings are not mounted correctly.

You can check any of your rods easily. Rest the butt end of the rod (just in front of the handle section) on a surface where it can roll easily and where the handle isn't touching anything. Hold down on the rod toward the butt end with one hand and with the other bend the tip down quite a bit. Now roll the rod while holding tension on the tip section. You will feel a distinct "snap" when you get it so that the spine is on the underside as it will get into that position and will resist further rolling.

If you do find you have a rod where the rings are not properly aligned, it would be well worth the effort to remove and reinstall the rings - or have a rod builder do it for you. This is one thing they always check when building a custom rod for you.

[This message has been edited by Newt (edited 01 May 2001).]

Guest poledark

Having at one time won a medal for long distance casting with a multi and tought dozens to cast, and used f/s spools for years the main reason for the fixed spool is simplicity and freedom from overuns. I found the multi an absolute joy to use but no way is it suited to carp fishing, granted you can set it up with a very slight drag( not in free spool)but god help you if you get an overrun before you strike.

There is a certain amount of skill attached to using a multi and no doubt when the use of Big Pit reels become commonplace then some of the carp boys will want to show off their even more expensive multi's.

Once they realise that they cant cast any further then they will very soon give up.

Under fishing conditions multi's do not cast any further than F/S

poledark