Missin bites

Guest dexista

Guest dexista

I was fishin on the medway in kent yesterday evening - and was catchin some nice roach - to about 1lb 1/2, however i cant believe how many bites i was missin.

I aint new to fishin but i aint a veteran - and would like to know what it could be i am doin wrong.

I was trotting obviously usin a stick float that took 5 no. 6 shot - 6gr. + 2 1/2lb line,

i was using size 14 hook(barbed) + double maggot.I hae usin barbed but thats all i had - i thought this could be a possible cause?

The bites were positive takin the float right under - even though i didnt "dot" the float right down - 'cos i didnt have my poloroids, and i wouldnt of been able to see the flot otherwise.

I have also got the habit of always strikin to the side - should i be strikin up - i did try strikin up by i still missed em.

I was fishin at about 5-7ft deep, right under a bush.

NE1 know what i am doin wrong?

BTW - it aint my reactions....i dont think

[This message has been edited by dexista (edited 25 June 2001).]

Guest dexista

Yeh - well i started on a size 20 - missed loads of bites - moved to a 16 - lost loads of bites - when to a 12 and picked up a few - then started missin again

Guest Steve Burke

There are umpteen possible reasons, but as I assume you normally catch with this method one likely cause is that the distance between your bottom shot and the hook could have been wrong.

If the maggots were coming back damaged it probably meant that the bottom shot was too far away. If not, the reverse was probably the case.

No doubt others can think up additional solutions for you to try next time. Perhaps we could get Bob Nudd to give his views.

Nevertheless, congratulations on a cracking roach!

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest dexista

Well i had a "shirt button" style setup - the shot gradually getting smaller further down the line - evenly spaced out - although come to think of it - i did have a couple of the bottom ones drop of - and i just left it - could this really be the problem - something as triviul as that?

Guest Graham E

Dex.

Some possible causes.

Were you feeding hemp at all, if so the fish were taking the shot. Even if you didn't feed any it is a real possibility. Try tares on the hook.

Did you make sure your line was well greased. Even a small amount of sinking line between float and rod will make a real difference to strike/connect rates.

Try going overdepth and holding back the float, even if it skates, the bites will become so positive they will bend the tip.

If I was targetting roach, near bank I would feed 6/8 grains if hemp and fish tares as mentioned on a size 14 with the hook pushed through. This will take them believe me.

You may well find that a piece of breadfl;ake over depth and held back will also give you bigger fish.

Try my advice and let me know.

Cheers

Guest The Tangler

Graham

You hit the nail on the head with you advice, hemp and tares are one of, if not the best baits for the roach on the Medway.

Dexista

What part of the Medway were you fishing?

------------------

PETE.

Fishing in Kent and the south east.

http://thetangler.homestead.com

Guest dexista

I was fishin at yalding - above the weir.

Well the line might of been a problem as it happens - i didnt grease it.

I didnt want to go to deep - cos i always thought that in the summer the roach will be further up in the water.

No i wasnt usin hemp - although i usually do - never used tares before. Is it a selective bait for bigger fish, or just a good bait for all sizes?

Tangler i think i was on your website the other day, u fish at yaldin dont u?

What else is in the river above the weir - i love roach fishin - but wouldnt mind goin for somethin else.

Where should i get the tares - hemp for eg i get from the local petshop + cook myself - in the fishin shop it is all pre-cooked - i like mine to be fresh as a daisy.

Guest Graham E

Dex. Buy your tares with your hemp, a pint will do for the day. Cook separatly, generally for 10mins longer.

Do NOT feed any tares.

Holding back will in fact lift the bait into the bottom 1/3 and move it tantalizingly, the roach will be bigger and hit the bait well.

Fishing tares do not shirtbutton your shot but bunch it 2/3 way down the line. Look out for bites on the drop.

Tares will often catch chub, barbel, the bigger dace, especially if you do hold back.

ALWAYS grease your line when top/bottom trotting.

Thanks comments Tangler.

Guest Steve Burke
Originally posted by dexista:

Well i had  a "shirt button" style setup - the shot gradually getting smaller further down the line - evenly spaced out - although come to think of it - i did have a couple of the bottom ones drop of - and i just left it - could this really be the problem - something as triviul as that?

Yes, it could well be. Just one tiny change can make all the difference.

I've got a motto I change for fishing: if at first you don't succeed, try something.......different!

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm