River Mersey

Guest Mick Cottam

Guest Mick Cottam

Perhaps the great many on AnglersNet may help with this one. I fish generally for pike. I have been trying to establish whether pike are within my local River Mersey in Warrington. I have tried many different routes so far. The environment agency in answer to this question said ' I can confirm that pike are present in the River Mersey in the Warrington Area. The Environment Agency has not carried out any netting programmes or assessments in recent years but a survey is planned for later this year. Other species present in the Mersey are Roach, Bream, Chub, Dace, Carp, Eel.

When I challenged this by asking on what did they base their statement. They could not give their claim any foundation.

Similarly I contacted the Mersey Baisn Campaign. (Let me explain at this point that the River mersey was given the title of most improved european river. It had for many years suffered the abuse of industry and was highly polluted.) The Mersey Basin Campaign told me the same as the EA but could not provide any foundation to their claim. I have also tried this route with Warrington Anglers of which I am a Member.

Whilst I do think pike are present and will be attempting to prove it to myself soon by actually fishing it, I was wondering if anyone on Anglersnet had any further information or advice.

Kind regards, Mick

Guest tony jolley

Mike.

I have been intreasted in fishing the mersey and the ship canal for a few years now but never got around to it,

Does`nt Warrington anglers control a stretch?

do you know any thing about the canal???

I am mainly intreasted in the eel content of both,

the river is a big river and theres a lot of water,

I fancy the stretch near Thelwall1

Have you looked there?

------------------

Tony B.T Jolley

Guest paul mc

Hi Mick

Not sure about the pike but the E.A reported salmon starting to return to the mersey last year i think they have even started putting in some salmon runs in.

I fish the river Bollin which runs across the ship canal and into the mersey by thelwall, this river contains pike and eels(not sure how many or what size) so i dont seee any reason why the mersey should'nt.

------------------

Regards Paul Mc(ANMC)

Guest Mick Cottam

Thanks, to all who have replied so far, yes Warrington Anglers (of which I am a member) control most of the stretches around Warrington. The Mersey itself does contain Salmon, I have seen them myself jumping at Howley Weir, some good sized fish as well.

It has also been stocked with Roach and chub over the past few years.

Tony, the ship canal looks great in some places but I have never fished it. The Mersey looks great in places also and I will take at look at Thelwall. As for the River Bollin, I will take a look at this as well. As for eels, I am unsure about that one. But I am sure that the people who do fish the water will come into conatct with them.

Many thanks, Mick

Originally posted by tony jolley:

Mike.

I have been intreasted in fishing the mersey and the ship canal for a few years now but never got around to it,

Does`nt Warrington anglers control a stretch?

do you know any thing about the canal???

I am mainly intreasted in the eel content of both,

the river is a big river and theres a lot of water,

I fancy the stretch near Thelwall1

Have you looked there?

Guest Mick Cottam

Paul,

Thanks for the info, the Bollin is somewhere I have never thought of. Being relatively new to Warrington and its waters I am going to have to get to grips with the areas strange network of rivers and where they become canalised and cross and run into each other. Time for a bike ride I think to investigate.

Cheers, Mick

Originally posted by paul mc:

Hi Mick

Not sure about the pike but the E.A reported salmon starting to return to the mersey last year i think they have even started putting in some salmon runs in.

I fish the river Bollin which runs across the ship canal and into the mersey by thelwall, this river contains pike and eels(not sure how many or what size) so i dont seee any reason why the mersey should'nt.

• 8 years later...

Hey all

There are def some big pike in the mersey as i have been fishing it non stop for the last yr and a half have caught a few decent perch too and most recently ive seen BIG shoals of tench in the overflow canal at the bottom of the weir (Woolston not Howley). One of the guys in Baileys Bait And Tackle has also spent the night on the free section and had 4 carp all well over 20lbs.hope this helps.

Hey all

There are def some big pike in the mersey as i have been fishing it non stop for the last yr and a half have caught a few decent perch too and most recently ive seen BIG shoals of tench in the overflow canal at the bottom of the weir (Woolston not Howley). One of the guys in Baileys Bait And Tackle has also spent the night on the free section and had 4 carp all well over 20lbs.hope this helps.

Where's the free section on the Mersey? I work in Warrington sometimes and have asked various clubs and tackle shops. No -one knew about it. I would love to try the Mersey, can someone PM me the location. I know its cheaky but when i'm working away form home i only get an couple of hours fishing in if i'm lucky. So i don't want to pay for a day at a commercial fishery. Day ticket on the bank would do. Warrington AA did offer a guest day ticket to try Victoria Park but i would have to arrange it in advance.( Very kind of them) I don't get that oportunity as some times I just finish work early and go on spec. I am lucky that i know a couple of free places near the various offices i work at around the country and lucky that i sometimes catch fish as well.

Regards

Rob

• 3 months later...
Hey all

Is this overflow section of the canal south of the weir? if so, it looks like an interesting stretch, just been checking it out on google earth. Can anyone confirm if its free? is it part of the Woolston Eyes Nature reserve?

Thanks in advance for any replys!