Bitterling....

Guest coley

Guest coley

Anyone else here caught any Bitterling?

I have caught quite a few on the Lancaster Canal, tiny fish with an interesting life cycle- the female injects the eggs into the gill chamber of certain breeds of mussels, then the male releases sperm into the inhalent current as the mussel breathes. The fish also often acts as a host to the parasitic larvae of the mussel!

smile.gif Pete

Guest Spiderfan

They can also be found in the River Weaver in Cheshire, where I've caught them in the Hartford Bridge sections.

I've also kept them in an aquarium (shop-bought, not Weaver specimens I hasten to add) as a shoal amongst weather loach and shubunkins. Although not long-lived (mine lasted 18 - 24 months), they are a very beautiful silver fish, especially the more brightly coloured males.

Guest pikelines editor

Bitterling, yeah, lovely little fish.

Like the colours of the rainbow...

I have caught them on several NW venues in the past, they do seem to come and go from year to year though, odd!

They also like living with Gudgeon?

------------------

Best, Steve Ormrod

Guest paul mc

i used to catch tiny bitterling and small roach about 20 years ago with a twig and a piece of line with a maggot tied to the end(no hook belive it or not).It's what got me into fishing.Not caught any for about 10 years now tho.

anyone ever caught any bull heads

------------------

Regards Paul Mc(ANMC)

Guest fisherking
Originally posted by paul mc:

i used to catch tiny bitterling and small roach about 20 years ago with a twig and a piece of line with a maggot tied to the end(no hook belive it or not).It's what got me into fishing.Not caught any for about 10 years now tho.

anyone ever caught any bull heads

Bitterling in Sefton Park nearly 40 years ago bullheads in the Dane and the Vyrnwy.

John.

Guest matty ---

I too have had experienc with bitterlings from the lanky. 15 years ago I kept some in a tank at home for a few months before liberating them back into the canal.