pole in mouth disease

Guest phonebush

Guest phonebush

I continously am inserting my foot in my mouth. I never learn to keep my mouth shut when I don't know what I am talking about. Believe I shall get shoe polish with toothpaste in it and cover two bases at once.

Ok, on our State site they were laughing at guys using long poles (actually they were 11' rods). I explained that our UK brothers use both "rods" and "poles". Sometimes a pole can be as long as 60 feet. Our uninformed fishermen agreed, said they were used for snagging. OHH DEAR

Question,

1. What are "elastics" (ie. what is the application)

2. What is the longest pole.

3. How would you hold a long pole (leverage would be awsome)

Phone

Guest FishinMad2001

Hi phonebush,

Poles are a great peice of tackle when used correctly. They to me, are a cery skillfull way to fish.

Elastics are used to tire a large fish and are used as a shock absorber against large and small fish alike. When a fish is caught instead of giving tension like a rod and reel approach you would let the elastic fight the fish for you so to say.

The longest pole on the commercial market would be that of the Browning Champions Choice at 17.5 meters. Long and heavy id expect, and poles at this length are VERY expensive (around £3000) and hard to control especially under strong winds. Using a pole of this length is not advised, because back trouble can occur and presentation isent as efficent. Poles longer than this can be purchased out side of the market at maybe 20 meters plus. When new materials are discovered to make poles stronger and lighter we will see lengths like this enter the commercial market in the next few years.

The poles at 13 meters plus are controlled in a pivot like action trapping the pole with the forearm on your knee. When a bite occurs the pivot likeness of the arm produces the strike and thus a hooked fish. Other methods with shorter poles at say 11 meters can be controlled with one hand. On landing the fish you ship the pole back a number of 1.5 meter sections (around 5-8 on long poles) and take it apart making the fish more managable to land.

I could talk forever about methods with pole fishing but il leave it to someone else. My brain hurts!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Hope this solves your troubles.

------------------

Tight Lines,

Tyrone, http://www.tackleshop.co.uk/

Guest Gray-Catchpole

elastic is used as a cushine(spell) and is run through the first two or three sections of the pole, these vary in strenght from one to around 20, size twenty being used for carp, and short sections of line are atached to this elastic via a stonfo, with hook and float set up in the usual way albeit a lighter than normal setup

the pole i use bush is 12.5 m, about average here, the are some massive poles around not sure of the biggest though.

most poles now are made light enough to hold all day at these lengths, so leverage is no problem, the pole either rests on your leg whilst you hold it with your right or left hand or both(so your ready to strike), or using a pole seat where the pole sits in a dip on the seat between your legs.

ive missed out loads here, just to get you going

------------------

Email:

Guest davidP

have a look here : http://www.daiwasports.co.uk/disciplines/c...s/710_frame.htm

This is the top-of-the-range Diawa pole weighing in at a whopping £7500 (that's about $10,500!!). It's just over 16 metres long (53 feet) but only weighs 1170 grams which is less than 2.5 lbs. It's fairly safe to say however that they won't sell many at this price. I think the companies produce poles like this more for their promotional value than anything else. They give them to their sponsored angers, let the press try them and then reap the reward of more sales of cheaper poles based on the write-ups of how good their really expensive poles are.

It certainly isn't the longest pole on the market though. I believe there are several on the market that you can buy extra sections for to take them up to 20m, but the reality is that very few people would even want to try and fish at this range - it's just too unwieldy. I would think that few anglers fish much beyond 14 and the majority between 11 & 14.

How to hold them - well, I've looked long & hard on the web and really struggled to find a decent picture of someone holding a pole properly. The way most people do it is to sit slightly sideways resting the pole on your thigh and then counter balance the pole with whichever is your strongest arm behind the thigh. The other hand can hold the pole in front of the thigh but it is normally stabalising rather than supporting the pole. When holding the pole like this most anglers will not hold the pole right on the end because especially when fishing a very long pole getting the pole balanced is more important. When you need to strike you simply press down with the back hand and lift with the front hand. As you have such direct contact with the float and a short line you only need to move the pole tip a couple of feet to strike and this means only moving your hands a few inches because the the lever effect.

As poles have got lighter I have noticed that more and more anglers sit with the pole between their legs. They normally sit on a cushion with a v-shaped slot in that allows them to effectively sit on the pole without crushing it or it getting too uncomfortable. It effectively means that they're almost supporting their tackle with their tackle if you see what I mean biggrin.gif Personaly I found my back was a little too susceptible to that method but it does seem to be gaining in popularity.

For a better description have a look here http://www.floatsgone.btinternet.co.uk/pol...le/longpole.htm

Elastics - long poles don't have reels and the line is tied to the end of the pole (the bamboo cane and bent pin principle). Consequently if you hook a fish that you need to give line you're screwed unless you fish hugely heavy line so the fish cannot break it. Of course doing this would probably case the pole itself to snap. To get round this elastic is threaded through the end (top) sections of the pole and the fishing line is then attached to this. So if a fish runs it pulls the elastic out of the end of the pole and that cushions the line and pole against any sudden lunges etc. Obviously the more elastic the fish pulls out the greater the pressure it takes to pull it out so by pulling against it the fish is expending energy that is transferred to the elastic and will be used to pull it back! Once the fish is hooked the pole is lifted abovethe fish so that the pressure on the fish is upwards as much as possible and then the pole is slowly fed backwards onto the bank behind you (breaking it down as required) until you have a short enough pole that you can reach to net the fish. Again, for a good description and a diagram look here http://www.floatsgone.btinternet.co.uk/basics/rods.htm

As for the comment about snagging fish mad.gif Anybody found deliberately doing that would probably never fish that water again and would be disciplined by the club!

Hmmm - this turned into a very long answer, but I hope it's useful.

Guest Newt

Phone - thanks for asking. All - thanks for responding.

DavidP - snagging is a legal method in most of the US for taking "rough" fish which includes carp, catfish, buffalo, and a number of others. Not sporting. Not something I'd do or even like to see but it is legal. I'm sure that it isn't in the UK but Phonebush lives in a mid-western US state and there are a number of guys there who do snag fish. These same folks have probably never even heard of a long pole such as you are describing and have certainly never seen one in use. I never have except in pictures.

Guest phonebush

Thanks all, and more is welcome.

Our ignorance of "fishing poles" is so complete it would amuse even the most novice of UK anglers.

I shall feed this information a bit at a time. Some will actually have an interest, as I have, and enjoy learning.

One thing, as you bring the fish in do you remove the section you are holding on to. What happens if a fish gets its second wind?

Phone

Guest Gray-Catchpole

hi phone

to help with this i use a pole roller, and only break down the pole once, with the first two or three sections ready to land the fish, then if a second wind is about to come then you just have to worry about re-shipping only once.

------------------

Email:

[This message has been edited by Gray-Catchpole (edited 06 June 2001).]

Guest darrell.cook

Hi Phonebush,

The real beauty of pole fishing is the pinpoint accuracy it gives.You can place the rig on a sixpence(should that be "dime") biggrin.gif.

Pots can be fitted to the end,so that loosefeed,groundbait can be added just as accurately.

Some people fish poles in excess of 20 metres using a method called the floating pole,whereby the pole is laid on the water.

Several poles now come with parallel extensions for this purpose,the overall length being governed by the anglers wallet.

I enjoy pole fishing,but usually limit myself to 11 metres for reasons of comfort,though my pole does reach 14.5 metres the final two sections seldom see the light of day.

Guest Oatmealjack

Bush, one thing with pole fishing is the line it limiting on the end, you have to unhook the fish instead of releasing them with alternative methods otherwise you are going to have to keep tying on new line to your rubber.

Oat