help me to fish the pole

Guest matthayes

Guest matthayes

Ive just bought a second hand maver 11 metre pole of a friend,im hoping to use it on the river lark on sunday,i really do not know were to start as i am a complete novice to the pole, the river is reasonably slow moving can anyone out there advise me on the best way to fish, thanks

Guest big tinca

Come on guys,Gray,TROGG and the rest, give the guy some advice he is a NEW POSTER!

Hi Matt,

Any way mate to start off have you got a good selection of pole rigs together if not make a few up with different size floats, shotting pattern etc so you will be more prepared to tackle any situation.

What elastics have you got in the pole and what fish are you hopeing to catch,if you are intending to catch bigger fish you a bigger elastic like a 12 but if your after roach/perch use a 4/6.

Have you got any idea how to ship back and break down your sections?

When i started pole fishing i was that wrapped up that i had a pole that i use to practice shipping and up shipping in the garden.

It might sound stupid to you but it gives you a feel for the pole and helps determine what length you can fish at ease with.

Come on guys add to this POST!

------------------

Happy Tenching.

Big Tinca.

bigtinca@hotmail.com

Guest rondo
Originally posted by matthayes:

Ive just bought a second hand maver 11 metre pole of a friend,im hoping to use it on the river lark on sunday,i really do not know were to start as i am a complete novice to the pole, the river is reasonably slow moving can anyone out there advise me on the best way to fish, thanks

Matt.

I dont know the Lark but the main thing is to be comfortable handling the pole.

My advice is to spend a bit of time watching others and look at the way they are set-up.

You must have room at the rear to ship back or at the side if it is like a towpath.(WATCH OUT FOR BIKES)If anything it has been said practice is what will make it work for you.Dont be shy ASK AROUND YOU on the bank

Matt

I agree with Rondo,go along and watch others using the pole. See how they set themselves up etc. Thats how I learnt how to fish with the pole. And also join a local angling club and go along with them to there matches and watch and learn, join in and also ask questions. Your find most anglers informative and willing to pass on their skills and knowledge to you. So go ahead join an angling club. I've never regreatted it.

MKJ

Guest rondo
Originally posted by mkj:

Matt

I agree with Rondo,go along and watch others using the pole. See how they set themselves up etc. Thats how I learnt how to fish with the pole. And also join a local angling club and go along with them to there matches and watch and learn, join in and also ask questions. Your find most anglers informative and willing to pass on their skills and knowledge to you. So go ahead join an angling club. I've never regreatted it.

MKJ

By far the best idea,I thought i could use a pole until i joined a local club.Best thing i have done.I,m 64 and joined 4 years ago when i retired.I have been fishing for over 50 years and STILL learning.And dont mind admitting it!

rondo

Guest hoppy

Hi, Matt. I'm the same, along the lines of Rondo, I've only pole fished for a couple of seasons. Bob Nudds illustrated guide to pole fishing book is a pretty good guide at £6.99, but anyway, her's the way I fish on flowing water.

Set-up... No 6 elastic, 2.5lb main line, hooklength no more than 2lb, size 18 hook. But if there's bigger fish about, all these must be stronger.

I use a stick float or waggler (not a pole float) secured at top and bottom end, cos I can see these larger floats while "trotting",(letting the float go with the current). Once you've cocked the float/stick and plumbed the depth (enough shot on) fix 50% of the shot about 12" from the hook.

I use an overall line length of about the length of my top 4 sections from tip to hook, this gives me the chance to trot down the swim.

Put your pole straight out at whatever length you want to fish at, then swing your pole slowly with the current, keeping line from tip to float tight, this should keep your hook/bait just off bottom, if it's catching bottom, shallow up a little or hold the pole back a little.

You may latch onto some, chublets, dace, roach or grayling or whatever fish are in the venue. Just watch for the float bobbling and strike sideways upriver.

Anybody else out there, with any more info for this lad? or even better than the above!

Good luck...Tight lines... Stay cool cool.gif

...hoppy smile.gif

------------------

been there done that(well almost)

Guest matthayes
Originally posted by hoppy:

Hi, Matt. I'm the same, along the lines of Rondo, I've only pole fished for a couple of seasons. Bob Nudds illustrated guide to pole fishing book is a pretty good guide at £6.99, but anyway, her's the way I fish on flowing water.

Set-up... No 6 elastic, 2.5lb main line, hooklength no more than 2lb, size 18 hook. But if there's bigger fish about, all these must be stronger.

I use a stick float or waggler (not a pole float) secured at top and bottom end, cos I can see these larger floats while "trotting",(letting the float go with the current). Once you've cocked the float/stick and plumbed the depth (enough shot on) fix 50% of the shot about 12" from the hook.

I use an overall line length of about the length of my top 4 sections from tip to hook, this gives me the chance to trot down the swim.

Put your pole straight out at whatever length you want to fish at, then swing your pole slowly with the current, keeping line from tip to float tight, this should keep your hook/bait just off bottom, if it's catching bottom, shallow up a little or hold the pole back a little.

You may latch onto some, chublets, dace, roach or grayling or whatever fish are in the venue. Just watch for the float bobbling and strike sideways upriver.

Anybody else out there, with any more info for this lad? or even better than the above!

Good luck...Tight lines... Stay cool cool.gif

...hoppy smile.gif

Thanks for the good advice, my pole is a MAVER FINGER LAKE,i have a number 6 elastic but will it be strong enough for bream upto 4lb?

Guest teepee

hi matt,some good advice there already,its very difficult to give advice right from the off,it would fill your head with that much you would'nt know if you were coming or going and everybody telling you something different! the best advice as allready been posted go and watch somebody pole fishing especialy on the venue you intend fishing, ask them if they mind if you sit behind them and watch and then ask the questions you need to know, then get out there and have a go and then you'll be able to get on here tell us how you got on and ask more questions, you'll find lots of help on this site,i've been pole fishing nearly 20 years and the best advice to start with is to get comfortable your box must be straight get a leg system on your box if your sat comfy its a lot easier especially on the river where the bank will be sloping,hope this helps keep the questions coming, good luck.

------------------

teepee

Guest hoppy

I'm not sure about a 4lb river slab on No 6 elastic Matt, especially pulling through a river current from deep down, may stretch the lastic a bit. If you have ballanced tackle,ie weaker hooklength than the main line, and so on, to the lastic, if anything goes, it should go at the hooklength,so you wont lose your lastic, main line and float.

Have you got a second top 2 or 3 with stronger lastic, just in case.

If you play the fish properly and have your landing net at the ready, you might be ok, as slabs usually turn onto thier side when on top of the water, ready to be netted.

good luck Matt...all the best

...hoppy

------------------

been there done that(well almost)

Guest matthayes
Originally posted by hoppy:

I'm not sure about a 4lb river slab on No 6 elastic Matt, especially pulling through a river current from deep down, may stretch the lastic a bit. If you have ballanced tackle,ie weaker hooklength than the main line, and so on, to the lastic, if anything goes, it should go at the hooklength,so you wont lose your lastic, main line and float.

Have you got a second top 2 or 3 with stronger lastic, just in case.

If you play the fish properly and have your landing net at the ready, you might be ok, as slabs usually turn onto thier side when on top of the water, ready to be netted.

good luck Matt...all the best

...hoppy

yeah good advice cheers, i do have some rigs given to me from the previous owner but i think ill make my own with a light hooklength just incase i hook a big un thanks again mate