carp on 3lb line

Guest james barbeltench

Guest Andy Thatcher
Originally posted by fisherking:

Andy,Graham I didn't intend the post to look like I was telling people it was ok to target big fish on light gear.

Only an idiot would fish for big fish with light gear to see if it could be landed.

John.

Didn't think that you had ! Just giving another side :lol

Cheers

Andy

Guest Steve Burke

I agree that the tackle that you use has to be based upon the fish you expect to catch and the type of water, especially the amount of weeds or snags.

It also depends on the size of the bait used. For instance, a single maggot can't be properly presented on 15lb line, although a big bunch popped up can be.

On heavily weeded waters I wouldn't use small baits as I've have to use tackle that was too light. However, on commercial waters when after roach on maggot I used to use 1.1 & 1.7lb hooklengths. As there's no snags here I've landed carp, although nothing over 9lbs 6ozs, which for a long time was a personal best. These days with hi-tec hooklenghts I'd probably be using 2lb+ hooklengths and they'd still be as fine and supple as the Bayer Perlon I used to use.

On the other hand, when the Carp Lake at Wingham was weedy I used 15lb line straight through to a size 6 hook crammed with maggots and a cork ball. This caught me several big carp to over 25lbs. Despite the heavy tackle this one took over 20 minutes to land! It hadn't been caught before but then came out 3 times in a month, and each time it went like a tiger.

On the Carp Lake at Wingham I have a minimum breaking strain of 14lbs for the reel line and 12lbs for the hooklength. There's no minimum on the Coarse Lake unless you use boilies, when the Carp Lake restrictions apply. This compromise allows those after rudd and perch etc to fish light, although of course they're still occasionally broken. Having said that, the Coarse Lake in particular is so little fished that the fish aren't tackle shy.

IMO, there's nothing "sporting" in using tackle that's too light for the job in hand. Quite the reverse. Such anglers are welcome to practice their ultralight tactics on appropriate waters. However, they're not welcome at Wingham!

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest big tinca

I once landed an 10lb common on 2lb line to a 1lb hooklength a number 6 elastic and hooked the fish on a pinkie all this was done on the pole confused.gif

------------------

Happy Tenching.

Big Tinca.

bigtinca@hotmail.com