It's hot, it's humid! Is summer your favourite season??

Guest Steve Burke

Guest Steve Burke

Peggy reckons I was an eskimo in a past life. Why? 'Cos I like winter far better than summer. Best of all I like spring and autumn, especially for fishing.

Mind you, there are compensations in the wildlife. In the last few days I've had a pair of sedge warblers feeding on maggots at my feet, a water vole pinching sweetcorn out of my bait box, and immediately above my head hobbies catching dragonflies in their talons and eating them on the wing.

Talking of wildlife, I wonder how long before the topless Latvian students arrive this year for their skinny dips? I bet that's when Nick Buss decides to come to Wingham again!

What's your favourite season and why?

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

[This message has been edited by Steve Burke (edited 02 July 2001).]

Guest euan pink

normally i like spring best with autumn a close second,its too bloody hot at the moment.but then again sounds good where you fish with those lesser spotted latvian bouncin chests!where did you say you fished again?

i`ll keep it secret won`t tell anyone honest!

------------------

ANMC FOUNDER MEMBER

SAVE MONEY ON YA FISHIN JOIN TODAY

Guest paul mc

Hi Steve

I am the same as you. My favourite seasons are spring and Autumn with Autumn being my favourite.I find summer to be to hot and sticky(especially over here we seem to have a different type of heat to other ocuntries).

I find it easier to sleep when its dark and cool aswell.

Oh yeah i nearly forgot, i have my best fishing in autumn.

------------------

Regards Paul Mc(ANMC)

Guest Steve Randles

Autumn without a doubt..Those golds and reds as the leaves start to turn and then drop into the river. The same leaves that accompany a stick float down as you trot for Roach or "ping" off the line whilst you are link-legering for Perch amongst the already dying cabbages...heaven...

------------------

Tight Lines,Steve Randles

Anglers Rest

mailto:Anglersrest@go-fishing.co.ukAnglersrest@go-fishing.co.uk

Guest Newt

Middle to late summer but fishing at night. That is when our larger flathead catfish seem to be most active and they are SOME FUN to catch. For daytime comfort, I like weather that is too cool for the water skiers / jet skiers to be out.

BTW - what do you consider hot and humid over there? Here, for me, it is when the temp is over 32.5ºC and the humidity over 70%.

As a point of interest, Wisconsin (great lakes area) has those conditions now and winter temp often gets well below -18ºC. I lived there for a couple of years and no way ever want to do it again. Winters are just way too brutal for this warm weather loving boy.

Guest Steve Burke

In England the offical definition of a hot day is 25C+ and a hot night 15C+. It's been 26C to-day with 90 per cent humidity.

I know that's not unusual in other parts of the world, but few of us have air conditioning here. Mind you we have a portable air conditioner unit upstairs which was worth every penny of the £300 it cost us. Working from home it soon paid for itself. Unfortunately it's very heavy so we just keep one bedroom cool - but it's heaven! D)

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

[This message has been edited by Steve Burke (edited 02 July 2001).]

Guest eddie turner

steve its got to be winter, Especially after christmas....short days...even i can get up before the crack of dawn. Possible Febuary

those biggies are just round the corner....its all hit and miss...but when you hit it can be worth while...as long as it dose not rain i'm ok!

Guest GlennB

My favourite would be spring on the rivers, but that's the close season frown.gif

So - spring on the lakes, summer on the rivers.

Can't hack anything resembling cold or windy

Yours wimpishly

Glenn

Guest matty ---

Summer for the bueatiful english countryside, dont ever take it for granted. But winter for the big fish!!!

Guest Graham E

I'm with Steve R here, Autumn for the fish in top condition and the fact that with the varied temperatures you can nearly pick when the fish wil feed.

Like Steve B I have found this summer to be alive with fauna.

Scared out of my chair by a pair of those damn minks running over my feet in broad daylight, and no pre rustling or chirping to warn me.

A chaffinch that kept sitting on my rod and cheeping until fed / maybe the whole family as they did it all day...quick learners.

A red Kite spotted gliding majestically over the Thames. A muntjac deer sipping water from the cattle drink, and a chorus of owl hoots and schreetches as I walked away from the Kennet.

Is'nt fishing great.