Roach 15 inches long,5 1/2 deep-how heavy?

Guest Howard 13

Guest Howard 13

A non fishing mate of mine is working on some private land with a river running through.Anyway he is tying a bit of 10lb line to a bit of wood with a size 4 hook.Using bread or worms he has been catching trout and'fish with red fins'

The biggest of these 'red finned fish'he says he measured at 15 inches long and 5 1/2 iches deep.

Do these size proportions sound like roach or rudd and how heavy do you reckon a roach/rudd of this size would weigh?

I've just lent him a rod,reel,disgorger and a few other bits in return for a trip down there with him next week.Can't wait!

Cheers.Howard.

Guest dave k

Hope you also told him were the nearest post ofice is, so he can get a licence smile.gif

If he is fishing in England or Wales he needs a licence, EVEN on private land

And by the way i am jealous and want to got fishing with him rolleyes.gif

------------------

dave kennedy USSC Angling

Guest dave k

Howard

Make sure you take your camera when you go, as i would love to see a photo of them smile.gif

if they are taking a bait on the takle you described i would love to fish for them biggrin.gif

not many waters that dont get a lot of presure, and the fish feed as confidently as these ones seem to.

Have fun (and i am still jealous)

Might be a Chub if he is also catching Trout as well.

if they are Roach i will see you there rolleyes.gif

------------------

dave kennedy USSC Angling

Guest Chris Plumb

My late Grandad's 1948 Alcocks catalogue as a number of size/weight charts for different species.

Her's the one for roach - all measurements are Imperial..

8 inches 4.25oz

9 inches 8

10 inches 13.5

11 inches 1lb 2oz

12 inches 1lb 3.25

13 inches 1lb 8.5

14 inches 1lb 14.75

15 inches 2lb 5.5oz

16 inches 2lb 14

17 inches 3lb 7oz

Don't you love how they give weights the nearest quarter of an ounce! Pretty good guide none-the-less.

Chris

------------------

"Study to be quiet."

Guest Howard 13

Thanks for the replies.You're right about a license,that is something I forgot to tell him,although I don't think he'd pay much attention.

So according to the chart 15 inches = just under 2 1/2lb.That'll do nicely.

As you say they could be chub,I just hope they're not.

The bloke who owns this land incidentally has no interest in fishing whatsoever and has lived there for 22 years,in which time he says no one has ever fished it.

Thats life!

Howard.

Guest Gray-Catchpole

ive only ever fished a truely virgin water once, and beleive it or not, it was only a few week ago, old church, not even touched, until we got there, i posted it on AN, and now they have day tickets, oh well never mind, still its pretty non fished, but your water sounds amazing, just dont shout to loud biggrin.gif

------------------

Email: