WHICH REEL TO PARTNER....my little Esox Spinflex 1.5tc rod?

big gus

Chaps,

I'm off to the broads on Monday for a week's fishing, minus the wife :lol: .... but need some advice. I'll be doing the usual trotting in the day and legering for anything that comes along at night.

However it's the pike aspect I'm having a little trouble with. I'll be taking my usual Warrior rod (2.75tc) for float-fishing dead-baits...probably twinned with my battered old shimano 4000 (braid loaded up)...targetting the bigger pike on that set-up.

It's the lighter rod (Esox Spinflex 7ft 1.5tc) I'm a bit worried about.

Obviously, I'm not planning on latching into any monsters (would I be right in guessing any jacks or small pike up to about 5-6lbs will be ok....as well as any perch or chub in the vicinity??).

Stupidly, I haven't thought about which reel to use. I have several multipliers (abu garcia 5501 and 6501) as well as a load of fixed spool reels (shimano GTE-B's, shinamo 4000) etc....I also have a tiny little shimano 2000 (I think it is) and an Okuma Epix Pro.

The majority of these are obviously 'supposed' to be used for heavier fishing and with a more sturdy rod.

Can anyone advise as to what's one to go with?

I've resigned myself to not being able to chuck any of my big lures around as the 1.5tc isn't up to the job....which is very annoying.

Sorry for rambling, any advice appreciated.

Gus

Edited by big gus

I've got a Fox spinning rod that's very similar and use a Daiwa Laguna 2500 size spinning reel and find it comfortable match, so i'd say a 2500 size reel would be fine.

James P

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"

Unfortunately the fish taking the lure will be unaware of the rod that you are using! Believe me, lures are best for summer caught pike, and a Big S sized lure is just as likely to catch a twenty as any other lure in the rivers. A Manns Minus One is a good Broads lure. Lures that work down to two feet are the nuts at this time of the year. The reel, feeder sized, like the Epix Pro, and twenty pound braid would be good with the SpinFlex. Personally I'd leave the deadbait stuff at home. Hire a dinghy and work the margins.

Edited by Peter Waller

I've got a 2.5tc, 9ft esox Spinflex and I partner it with a Shimano Exage reel with 50lb braid.

TBH livebaiting (if permitted) and with fish caufght from the water your fishing would be a good bet

I've got a 2.5tc, 9ft esox Spinflex and I partner it with a Shimano Exage reel with 50lb braid.

TBH livebaiting (if permitted) and with fish caufght from the water your fishing would be a good bet

Using baits for pike is banned here in Bridgwater, Somerset until Sept 30th after temperatures have cooled down and the fish are less ravenous. I've heard local Pike anglers talking about how many fish have been really deep hooked in the summer where they have swallowed the bait back before giving an indication. Is this a common occurence?

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"

Using baits for pike is banned here in Bridgwater, Somerset until Sept 30th after temperatures have cooled down and the fish are less ravenous. I've heard local Pike anglers talking about how many fish have been really deep hooked in the summer where they have swallowed the bait back before giving an indication. Is this a common occurence?

Can be a problem if you don't use the right setup and fish properly

I fish rivers with floats pretty much 99% of the time, at the end of the day it's the best indicator so long as you watch them at all times.

Also I find the use of one rod easier too so you can really be attentive and work for the fish a bit more moving swims when need be etc.

ProblemI'm having these days is catching livebaits...I'm a rubbish roach/skimmer fisherman!

Edited by Neil G