chest waders

Jeff S

4 & 5mm Neoprene are Brilliant in cold waters/weather. Felt soles as you have found out are uselesss on mud and grass, but on slippery rocks etc in or close the water again they are brilliant. I assume they are bootfoot waders? If so not a lot you can do apart from fitting some studs to the heel. You can buy a set of chains to fit over the boot sole. If they are the bootless variety with separate boots, buy yourself some rubber soled wading boots.

Good wading, don't forget the wading staff!!

Colin

Will do thanks Jeff.

The advice about the wading staff is good at this time of the year.

I've had Grayling to about 1.5 lbs this year from Aysgarth. They're rapidly becoming my favourite fish although I wish they'd give up fighting when you're trying to unhook them :D . They just smell like fish to me though!

Paul

Hi all,

i have two sets of chest waders one of which is neoprene. Under them I would wear Jogging type fleecy bottoms, unless you want to splash out on the polartec under wader wear. Mine are cleated soles. However my gortex waders have felt soles and if you add the screw in studs as suggested elsewhere you will be fine for grip, even on muddy banks. Studs can be obtained from John Norris or Sportfish.

Thing about Neoprene is getting to the swim if its any distance, even if it is freezing weather ig you hump the normal amount of coarse tackle any significant disance you will be soaked when you get there. I would transport the waders on my trolly or similar and put them on once at the swim. Once you are soaked in side the waders their thermal properties are reduced significantly.

Cheers

Malcolm

Yep, will have to give the wading staff a try. I'm sure a large stick will suffice.. I haven't attached the screws to the felt soles yet but we'll see how I get on tomorrow afternoon with them attached.

What is the normal coarse tackle? I like to travel light and stay mobile. Probably to the detriment of other people on the bank. I try not to disturb them too much. Not that I see that many. The only things I take with me are unhooking mat, net, forceps, lures, and rod. I'll be taking all that while fluff chucking as well. I find it easier to have all that just in case but I still get soaked just carrying that.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Jeff,

You'll need to get yourself a proper weighted wading staff otherwise you'll be fighting a losing battle with an ordinary stick when in any type of flow.

Paul