Another vote

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

Originally posted by Steve Randles:

Elton...We are the biggest participant sport in the country...with the lowest publicity... Why then take the lethargic view when for a few clicks you can vote for your sport?

As a point worth remembering, by responding to this thread 3 times, surely this equates to any ten polls that you could vote on...and show your support...

My comment to you stands.

Steve,

So, giving the anti's the publicity they want is good for our sport, eh? Don't follow your logic there.

I built this site as a source of angling information, a resource. Of late, I've seen more talk of anti-angling on here than angling. If I was an anti, I'd be loving it.

All the best,

Elton

P.S. For what it's worth, I'd already pampered to their whim by 'voting' before I posted the first post to this thread - we were 56 to 159 at the time.

Guest MTP IN VA

Support takes many avenues, Elton. And the inroads that can tear down our sport are just as varied. Would you defend just one wall of the fort against your attackers? I have to agree with Steve on this one.

Todd

Guest Steve Randles

Sure ...give them publicity... then vote the hell out of them!!! Beat the hell out of them on every front, wherever possible.

These people are self addmitted terrorists, what would you have me do? Lie down and let them finish me off permanently? With all due respect Elton... That is a logic that I do not understand, nor do I wish to!!. And my logic is merely to outvote them, and counter any threat they may bring forth.Angling is ready for these people, but are the anglers ready for angling?

But by posting "But why should we? Why should we have to waste our time, money and resources every time some second-rate journalist without a brain of their own regurgitates a press release written by an over-paid tree-hugger who's sole objective is to gain publicity (i.e. responses from us) just so that he or she can carry on drawing a wage from a 'charity' instead of contributing something worthwhile to our community?

At a time when we're throwing out refugees by the boat-load, this country seems content to let these people come over here (do they have work permits to do these press calls, btw?) and tell us how we should live our lives. you could well be putting others off voting...rather than encouraging them to protect and preserve our sport.

It is, after all ...just a couple of clicks..

------------------

Tight Lines,Steve Randles

Anglers Rest

mailto:Anglersrest@go-fishing.co.ukAnglersrest@go-fishing.co.uk

[This message has been edited by Steve Randles (edited 21 August 2001).]

Todd,

We're all entitled to our opinions, and mine is that insignificant website polls are...well, insignificant.

The BBC is obsessed with its website. Watch a programme like Watchdog on the TV and they make you visit the site to email them, when they could just as easily give you the email address. Listen to Radio One in the morning and there are references every five minutes to their website.

Sure, I'd contribute to reasoned debate if I felt inclined, but all these 'polls' represent are cheap shots at bolstering 'hits' on websites - the UK is still obsessed by the word 'hits' and that's all these polls are there for. They server no purpose and contribute nothing to the debate. Instead, as this thread proves, they divide our sport and involve us in negative activities - I could have uploaded an article in the time that I've spent on this thread.

Tight lines,

Elton

Steve,

Do you really think that these are democratic votes? Ask one of the techy bods on here just how democratic they can be...

All the best,

Elton

Guest BarbLess

Just delete your temporary internet folder and you can vote as many times as you want! Note this will have implications...you 'may' lose saved passwords for sites such as this one.

..You don't have to delete the whole folder content...just found the file...a cookie (text file) named 'newsround'.

[This message has been edited by BarbLess (edited 21 August 2001).]

Guest Ian Cresswell

A well worded letter to the director of the BBC along with a long cc list would be a useful thing to try here. The Press Complaints Commission may be worth a try.

IMO the Newsround team severely overstepped the reasonable reporting mark and I'm told that, during the report on TV, they pitted Ms Dawn Carr's (PETA) arguments against those of a 10 year old girl (angler). Ms Carr was a little more coherent ... no blame to our young colleague implied here.

They even showed some PETA promotional material (trout bleeding from the gills).

I consider news reporting for kids to be important. In a real democracy it needs the best and most accurate reporters ... real communicators if you like, and yet, this is the worst piece of innacurate 'news management' I've ever seen.

Tactics like this have been used throughout history to exploit kids for adults aims. There are many modern extreme examples of this awful practice and PETA are being allowed to preach their garbage to our kids through a powerful medium using the kids themselves. This is the first step on the road to dictatorship. The aims of PETA are a perfect match to a dictatorial government style too.

They (PETA) never tell the whole story. We all know the stuff about radical veganism right? No pets ... no cows milk ... no fish n chips ... and all of the rest. Not a mention ... no mention of animal rights 'extremist' views and practises either.

These guys aren't allowed in our schools where anglers are welcomed and yet they can say and do what they like on kids' TV.

PETA are picking on and using kids and the BBC are helping them.

I'd call that a 'sick' approach. Ms Carr has lost against the adults during her stay so now she takes on our kids.

Ian.

Guest Graham E

Believe me, if the response was 100pc for the Peta mob it would never feature on the news/programe again.

Stifle the debate. Let them talk to themselves. Alan's sensible letter should be the standard response adopted.

Guest TheDacer

I'm behind Elton on this one.

Angling does not need to defend itself from any attack - let alone some two-bit poll.

Angling will not be banned in our or our children's lifetimes.

And in my opinion the best thing to do with PETA is ignore the sad gits...

(Hey, but this once I'll go and vote anyway wink.gif)