locks

Guest big pole

Guest big pole

I was just thinking of this while I was fishing yesterday. Can/do fish pass through locks in any numbers? Or is it just the odd one that finds it's way through.

Guest davidP

I'd think that some must get washed through simply by getting caught in the water flow. I've definitely seen fish in locks (whole shoals), and seen them gathered around the upstream gate feeding on the surface scum that collected against the gate. Quite often 1 gate can get left open for long periods so fish must enter locks to feed. As in many cases they're really deep it could be a good collecting point for food - it gets washed in but not out the other end.

Whether fish use locks deliberately I don't know though. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the fish migrate past locks to spawn, although I think they'd be more likely to use the bypass sluices rather than waiting for locks to be operated.

Check your local rules before fishing in the locks though - I have a nagging memory that fishing in locks is actually not allowed.

Guest Colin Brett
Originally posted by big pole:

I was just thinking of this while I was fishing yesterday. Can/do fish pass through locks in any numbers? Or is it just the odd one that finds it's way through.

You only have to look at the Zander for the answer to your question. They seemed to go through plenty of locks whilst spreading through the fens. In fact the Water Authorities did consider a plan to poision the water at a lock nr Peterborough in an effort to stop their spread. They certainly thought the zander travelled through locks in numbers.

Colin