On the look out for Tench

Guest Kitson

Guest Kitson

I would really like to catch some decent tench and am trying to work out where in the lake I should be targetting.

Do tench like particular areas, or do they roam?, I have been told that they patrol the perimeters.

Also what bait/Groundbait combo's are effective?

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

Hi Kitson

Indeed Tinca Tinca's do patrol the margins I have also caught a lot on the slopes of lakes & pools.

I personally use Sweetcorn,Prawns,Vanilla flavoured meats,Pepperami,Cockles & mussels!

Give one or even all of these a try & see how it works for you!!

------------------

TROGG (Alan)

Guest Steve Burke

Kitson, what sort of water are you fishing? This is especially important with tench as those in gravel pits usually behave totally differently compared with other waters.

Probably the best thing is to describe the intended water as fully as possible. There's a lot of us here on the Forum who fish for specimen tench.

You may also like to read Jim Gibbinson's latest piece in the articles section of Angler's Net, which was on his top tench baits.

Jim's book "Tench" is excellent if you're after those in gravel pits. It's probably out of print now but its ISBN reference is 0-947674-28-4 and your local library should be able to order it for you.

The standard book on tench has the same title and was written by the late Len Head who tragically died so young. Its ISBN ref is 0-946284-72-5. I had the pleasure of knowing Len, but Alan Pearce who also posts here was Len's long time fishing partner and can certainly give you some good advice.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm