Help Please Trentbarbeller !

Guest Andy Thatcher

Guest Andy Thatcher

I found this on another forum.

Hi im only young and really dont know whether youll laugh but i really want to catch a beautiful barbel ive caught chub to 3lbs (dont laugh ) but im not that good and fish the trent in the midlands Burton my grandad says that the trent doesnt hold many barbel in my area so he says try the dove but am i allowed if so how much are day tickets can you get them and where from sorry to waste your time

Jowen

As the Trent is your patch, damn big one agreed !, can you give this lad any advice about the Burton area ?

Thankyou

Andy

Guest Vigiles

I have heard that the john thomas stretch at swalkeston is a good area just up the road from burton.

------------------

Vigiles

The Watcher

Guest trent.barbeler

Andy,

Although the Burton area is not on my patch, this young lads Grandad is half right unfortunately.

Unlike most popular rivers, the River Trent is not and probably never has been since the Industrial Revolution as exclusive in a fishing sense as in the lower middle, lower and tidal reaches.

Barbel ARE in the River Trent around the Burton area though and some nice fish are caught close to the town every year.

Burton AA or AC has some very good stretches on the Dove or so I am told. One or two guys I know fish these stretches and are catching lots of good barbel.

As I say, this is not really my patch so my knowledge of the area is sketchy at best.

On the other hand Andy, why not ask this young lad to come along with his Grandad if he fishes and have a days fishing with me somewhere on my patch.

Guest Andy Thatcher

Thanks for the info. I'll see if he get's back. Even spelled the name wrong !

Many thanks again

Andy

Originally posted by trent.barbeler:

On the other hand Andy, why not ask this young lad to come along with his Grandad if he fishes and have a days fishing with me somewhere on my patch.

Now that is what angling and AN should be all about. Well done.

Guest Keith Banks

James.

Theres loads of good barbel fishing close by.

Above Burton around Alrewas theres some good prolfic stretches.

Below Burton, Newton solney where the Dove enters the Trent, superb.

Willington/Repton, Ingleby ( John Thompson) through to Swarkstone and below all offer superb barbel fishing.

Trouble is I'm not sure who controls the waters as it used to be nearly all Derby A.A

But they gave up a large amount of water a few years ago.

If you live in Burton you could become a member (if you are not one already) of Burton Mutual, who have excellent fishing on the Dove.

Hope this helps

Keith