Zander

Guest Elton

Can anyone help with this one?:

": i am going to the fens this year. for zander i have been told by one person that a single hook trace is best with a small bait and another has told me that a small set of pike trebles and a small bait is best please would you give me the benifit of your expert advice (diagrams would welcomed) thank you "

------------------

Save Money On Your Fishing...

Click Below

Cheap Fishing Tackle

Guest phil hackett
Originally posted by Elton:

Can anyone help with this one?:

": i am going to the fens this year. for zander i have been told by one person that a single hook trace is best with a small bait and another has told me that a small set of pike trebles and a small bait is best please would you give me the benifit of your expert advice (diagrams would welcomed) thank you "

Elton

My advice is to use a single small treble (10s or 8s) on a trace, preferably semi-barbed, i.e., only one of the hooks has a barb on it.

Zander have IMO a propensity to gorge the bait. They also have extremely powerful throat teeth that are more like pads than teeth. Extracting a hook(s) that has/have passed these pads is a difficult task indeed.

My advice is hit em’ as early as is possible to avoid deep hooking.

Remember also that Zs are delicate fish and don’t take a lot of prodding and pocking in the throat region.

Use small fresh coarse deads 3-5 inches long. Sea deads I’ve found are next to useless for Zs. I would highly recommend largish gudgeon as the first choice, then dace, rudd, roach. The latter two species are easily obtained from some of the fens drains (E. me and I’ll give you the SP). The former two species have done the business time and time again for me with fish up to 11 3/4.

Guest doc_tench

Elton,

I caught a couple of nice ones this weekend,i use small baits as there mouths are quite small and always use course baits.

I also use double hooks (partridge v's) in size 8, just use the one hook with the barb flattened if you use say a 3inch bait and watch out for those eels, i get mine from andy lush at the friendly fisherman in kent like most of my kit!( a free lure for that one Andy? wink.gif)