Zander

Guest kev7dags

Guest kev7dags

I have just found out that a local dam I fish has some good sized Zander in it.As I have never fished for this type of fish before I was looking for some advice or tips.I have a spinning rod which I have never used for this purpose and a triple hooked plug.Will I catch using this method or will I have to use dead baits.Also I take it I will have to use wire traces is this the case(there are no pike in this country)Any help for this complete Zander novice(I fish mainly for carp and roach)would be gratefully appreciated

Thanks Kev

Guest TheDacer

I've had a few Zander (from my local bit of River Severn). They're underrated fish, in my opinion. Lovely to look at! Weird eyes...

But they don't fight hard - at least the ones I've had dont' - and they can be lazy.

In other words - I'm not sure you could get one of them to come to a spinner. I know some people have caught Zander like that - but I'm not one of them :-(

So.. to cut a long story short, I'd go for a static deadbait and be prepared for a long wait. (Having said that, my best came on a piece of luncheon meat). Also, you've got to have a wire trace and forceps. They're quite delicate despite the nasty teeth!

Good luck with 'em!