You are never too old to ..forget - A warning

Guest Graham E

Guest Graham E

Just a reminder to all not to forget some basic knowledge like this idiot did today!

Having caught a small barbus I was keen to roll through the swim again. It was a fast one so I was using a 1/2 oz bomb.

It tangled in the tree overhang, and a couple of twitches did not release it. A quick firm tug did, at pace, straight back into my top lip, drawing blood in my mouth with the hook in my nose.

..Waits for the laughter to stop.

If it had hit 3inches higher it could have been more serious than a split lip etc.

Have you had any nasties to compare?

[This message has been edited by Graham E (edited 16 August 2001).]

Guest John S

A good time to offer some advice (though perhaps a little late for Graham frown.gif )

When pulling for a break, always turn away from the snag and turn the rod slightly so that if the weight comes back, it will pass to one side of you (take care that it isn't going to hit anyone else though eek.gif ).

If you don't believe the danger involved in pulling for breaks, I've had a 1oz weight lodge itself almost up to the swivel in a tree before. A few years ago one of the angling papers ran a story about an angler who lost the sight in one eye when the weight hit him in the face and lodged behind his nose.

A bit gory I know, but the best advice often is....

Take care

------------------

John S

john@go-fishing.co.uk

ANMC Member - Get the best out of fishing, join today.

[This message has been edited by John S (edited 16 August 2001).]

Guest phil dean

bloody hell John, where've you been hiding, sounds like you've been hanging out in A7E when you should have been fishing, nice to hear from you

------------------

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY