Pike Conservation!

Guest Leon Roskilly

Guest Leon Roskilly

The Shannon Regional Fisheries Board have a web site at the following address http://www.shannon-fishery-board.ie

There is a message board operating on this site which anyone can access and put on various comments,

tips, catches etc.etc.

The reason I'm telling you this?

A couple of weeks ago the S.R.F.B posted a message on the message board entitled "tips on pike angling"

in which it hyped up the Shannon system as being the mecca of pike angling, boasting huge stocks of pike

and excellent pike angling in every corner of the region. (not quite true I'm afraid!)

Naturally this prompted a instant response from several conservation minded anglers, who posted messages of anger on the message board, with particular reference to the raping and pillaging of waters by the overseas fishmonger brigade, and more importantly why the S.R.F.B were doing nothing about it.

Around seven or eight different responses, which begged to differ with the S.R.F.B views were instantly deleted from the board by the S.R.F.B. No questions answered, just deleted. The S.R.F.B just pretended it never happened.

Today the 07/06/00 the S.R.F.B have just posted their weekly updates on angling on the their web site.

Included in this report (anyone will be able to read it who logs onto their site), is a letter from a disappointed

match angler, who basically contributes his lack of success during a weeks holiday to the waters he was

fishing being overrun by pike!! (a clever response by the S.R.F.B. I feel).

Those in the area know full well that parts of the Shannon system are at absolute crisis point with regards

pike stocks and more so pollution. And the last thing we need is letters of disappointment regarding pike

affecting coarse anglers results!

I urge you all to air your views on the board regarding this point. I think it is very sad that the S.R.F.B refuse

to answer the real questions, instead giving the opinion the Shannon System is overrun with pike. (god I wish it

was!).

Incidentally those of you who have joined the S.R.F.B email list, and receive weekly angling updates, beware.

Don't believe everything you read. The capture of a 32lb pike from the upper Inny system posted of the web

site a couple of weeks ago was slaughtered, they did not tell us that though!

As a final note, be polite, and be clever, don't give them a chance to delete our comments, lets try to get some answers from a regional fisheries board which seem to be getting more defensive by the day.

Lets get our point across well!

Please don't email the S.R.F.B. direct, use the message board, that way the world gets to see it!!

I thank you for your time.

Good Piking

Julian Terry

Irish Pike Society (Munster)