Boilie Flavours

Guest Elton

This is a question specifically for carp anglers who use boilies.

It seems that not a day goes past without a new boilie flavour being invented. It can only be a matter of time before we see things like 'Terrapin & Sellotape' flavour smile.gif

Do baits really get 'blown'? If so, surely they can come back into vogue once they've not been around for a year or so?

What about the colour/flavour relationship? i.e. if a bait flavour isn't working, would a colour variation on that bait work?

Also, are there any baits that have stood the test of time, ones that you'd feel confident using on a new water?

Last thing, for now - at what stage does a carp actually 'taste' a bait? I've been watching those in my pond and they seem to inhale just about anything and spit it out if they don't like it. If they were baits, a hair-rig would have had them whether they liked the flavour or not.

Lots of questions there. It's amazing what goes through your mind when driving back home late at night from Kempsey!!

Tight lines,

Elton

------------------

Save Money On Your Fishing...

Click Below

Anglers' Net Members Club

Guest RobStubbs

Elton,

In my experience baits don't blow. I have used the same bait for three years and catch rates didn't alter - and a few others were also using it. Other circumstantial evidence is the repeat capture of one fish 3 times in a season, and another fish three times over two seasons.

If a bait flavour didn't work on a water I'd change. I would not risk not catching just by changing colour (plus I don't like adding extra artificial additives)

Mainlines grange and active 8 are both very good baits and I'b be happy using them anywhere. Same with nutrabits BFM, my favourite flavours were a combination of monster crab and squid & octopus - not one to make if you're having friends around biggrin.gif

I suspect carp 'taste' or more correctly sense a bait from short distance, maybe a few feet. They will eat anything as you say, my carp in the pond (and aquarium) are the same. In the latter they often spend ages eating or 'tasting' the gravel.

Rob.

Guest tony jolley

I posted to a simalar question a few weeks back,

I have read in rod hutchinsons book 'the carp stikes back" that All bait flavours are made up from a few differant alchols or acitates, so you could have 6/7 flavours such as for example bannana, toffee, liquorise, strawberry all made up on the same alcohol base such as an ethel alcohol base, to the carp they would ALL taste/ smell the same (thats if they can taste or smell them in the first place, rod hutchinson always said that a bait flavour will catch more anglers then fish, I believe its the alcohol that may "blow" not the flavour so a change of alcohol to a acitate based flavour could return you to good catches if the number of runs have dropped off, as Rob has said and i agree that I havn`t known a flavour to blow, But that could be down to the fact that alot of carp anglers are constantly changing the bait in some kind of way , if you think of it if a carp guy substitutes an ingreadiant in his base mix he could and I believe is changing his bait completely.

------------------

Tony B.T Jolley