Another vote

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

As soon as i was given the link to this poll i posted it on here then i sent an e-mail to the bbc asking how they could justify giving air time & web space to any organisation that condones violence to make its point.

I also pointed out a few "home truths" about petas aims.

Still haven't recieved a reply...i wonder if i will confused.gif

------------------

TROGG (Alan)

mailto:Stafford@go-fishing.co.ukStafford@go-fishing.co.uk

my sites here

Guest Leon Roskilly

Er, let's not wait for the enemy to attack, then try to defend ourselves on the battlefield of their choosing.

It seems to me that the mistake we make is to get on with our fishing, not putting any effort into promoting our sport, then getting all defensive when we come under attack.

What we should be doing is taking the initiative and telling the world about the wonderful things that angling represents all through the year. (I often refer to angling as the 'hidden' past time. Why is that?)

Build in the public's mind all the positives which angling brings, then the arguments of the anti's will bounce off our pre-prepared defences.

As far as dealing with the attacks of PETA, don't bother defending angling. Attack PETA!!

'Yanks comoing over here telling us how to live our lives'.

'Nutcases who try to prevent children drinking milk, old ladies keeping budgies, families going to McDonalds, sick kids getting the treatments they need......'

eg If you are in front of an interviewer who says 'sticking hooks in fish is cruel, isn't it' reply 'Denying sick kids the possibility of treatment is what PETA is really about etc.....'

Choose your battleground, don't fight on theirs!!

Tight Lines - leon

[This message has been edited by Leon Roskilly (edited 21 August 2001).]

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

Graham

i have just seen your reply above my last one.

If my post caused you any distress then i apologise unreservedly.

When i said real anglers i meant those that are willing to do something to help protect their sport from the likes of peta.

Those anglers who don't just like our sport but love it or live it even, as i & many others who post on this & other forums do.

Those who become "ostritches"(spell check?) & hide their heads in the mistaken belief that all this is just a passing "fad" are very much mistaken & they are the ones my posting was aimed at.

Just because someone isn't an extremely well known name it doesn't mean they aren't doing their "bit". Some people on here are even members of certain groups albiet under plom de numes (spelling again) just so they can get that little bit more infomation.

Can you imagine how hard it must be for those people having to sit there & listen to the sh*t these groups sprout about their beloved sport & not say anything in its defence?. frown.gif (i know i can)

IMO the reason they have come to the uk & started to seriously attack angling is because of the way the hunting bill has gone.

They now see the uk as an "easy" target & as such are expecting to win.

I know there are "things" going on behind the scenes (i didn't realise this was a secret) BUT if we can cause as much disruption (for want of a better word) as possible each time peta start a "skirmish" then i believe we are in a way helping not to speed their progress but to slow it as they will have to devise another venture to try & gain credence with "joe public".

I have already lost them a local animal charitys support when i printed off a few pages of petas aims & took it into show the staff.

As soon as they got to the bit about banning pets they changed their tune & the posters supporting peta were removed.

In my eyes thats a step in the right direction please feel free to correct me if i am wrong.

Anyway thats gotta be the longest post i've ever done so i'm gonna sod off now cos i'm knackered smile.gif

like i've said Graham if i angered you then i am sorry it was unintentional

------------------

TROGG (Alan)

mailto:Stafford@go-fishing.co.ukStafford@go-fishing.co.uk

my sites here

Guest Ian Cresswell
Originally posted by Leon Roskilly:

Er, let's not wait for the enemy to attack, then try to defend ourselves on the battlefield of their choosing.

Haven't we already allowed this? I agree with your sentiments Leon but I wonder how many radio and TV interviews Ms Carr has managed to do in the past few weeks. We are currently fighting on their ground as I see it. The troops seem to be doing pretty well too.

And please please please everyone ... let's not start fighting about this one ... this really is TOO important.

Did I ask nicely enough?

Ian.

Guest SAMCATGETTER
Originally posted by Elton:

But why should we? Why should we have to waste our time, money and resources every time some second-rate journalist without a brain of their own regurgitates a press release written by an over-paid tree-hugger who's sole objective is to gain publicity (i.e. responses from us) just so that he or she can carry on drawing a wage from a 'charity' instead of contributing something worthwhile to our community?

At a time when we're throwing out refugees by the boat-load, this country seems content to let these people come over here (do they have work permits to do these press calls, btw?) and tell us how we should live our lives.

Not a dig at you by the way, Dave, just at this whole attitude that we as anglers have developed. One of having to defend a legal and legitimate hobby.

Elton

Elton, You have made some good points here. To win a battle ones forces must be motivated(no problem with that here). They must be well equiped (we all need some work on this). And they must remain focused on the overall objective.(this one we really need to get organized on) The Zulu war was mentioned, and maybe the "dont fire till you see the whites of their eyes" was valid at that moment. Also the charge of the Light Bribade, was a valiant effort. But both battles were military disasters. In the battle of Roarks rift, and "the charge", these extreemly brave men had no chance at all because they were forced to be totally reactive to the enemys tactics, and were unable to stage a battle on their own terms, to overcome the much larger opposing forces. They were spread way too thin to be effective enough in any one area to pull off an on site victory. So I suggest that we concentrate more on forming up our own lines. On picking and choosing our own fights, and the times WE chose to engage, as opposed to being baited out, and reacting to every enemy probe. For those that are familiar with the battle at the rift..The Zulu king sent forward a column of his warriors to test Brit firepower, and held them in contempt for giving away the fact that they were very under gunned, and were willing to waste ammo at ranges not suitable to their situation. Im with Elton on this one, but lets not just ignore the polls either. We can get alot of insights from them, with out getting hooked onto reacting to their stratgies. If it gets too balatant I say we hit them as heavily as we can..but not this one..Sam

Guest danzante

Sam,

Your posts are always a warmth welcome, so please do not misunderstand me when I ask you to leave a gap after a few lines as I tend to struggle reading them.

After reading the odd line, I may jump up or down to another line, thus,...

“..The Zulu king sent the charge of the Light Brigade because they were forced to be totally reactive to the enemy’s tactics,

So I suggest that we concentrate more on forming up our own lines, familiar with the battle at the rift.

I’m with Elton on this one but let’s not just ignore the whites of their eyes or the pupils in Danny’s". smile.gif

Thanks Sam.

Danny

Guest gary12000

Somethings in life cost more than i can afford.Some things in life i will never have.Some things in life are worth more than life itself,but........to try get angling banned is like robbing me of my social life and therefore deprieve me of my human rights....No one minds when there is meat on the table.No one minds when there are eggs on the table.No one minds when there is FISH on the table which has been mass caught from the sea.If you use a mouse trap does that not hurt(it does if you do not set them right)but this is not classed as cruelty,is it?The BBC are wasting peoples license fees may trying to promote this story and one that i find totaly unacceptable when there is so much real suffering going on around the world!

Gaz

Guest Simon Newbould
Originally posted by Graham E:

It takes a lot to get me excited. Alan, your comment about real anglers etc. has REALLY annoyed me. I am a REAL angler, and have been for 35 years, contributing much to the overall scene. I do not need lecturing about REAL anglers.

Graham,

couldn't agree more... the comments annoyed me too!..

Having said that, I'm more annoyed at the Newsround Websites report... the words they have drawn attention to by displaying them in bold text makes it easy to see which "angle" they're coming from doesn't it?

Simon

Guest SAMCATGETTER
Originally posted by danzante:

Sam,

Your posts are always a warmth welcome, so please do not misunderstand me when I ask you to leave a gap after a few lines as I tend to struggle reading them.

After reading the odd line, I may jump up or down to another line, thus,...

“..The Zulu king sent the charge of the Light Brigade because they were forced to be totally reactive to the enemy’s tactics,

So I suggest that we concentrate more on forming up our own lines, familiar with the battle at the rift.

I’m with Elton on this one but let’s not just ignore the whites of their eyes or the pupils in Danny’s". smile.gif

Thanks Sam.

Danny

Hello danzante, You are exactly right! I just tried to read a couple of my posts real fast, and the lack of typing skill is quite obvious.

There, I think I have the paragraph thing in hand. But watch out for my punctuation and spelling biggrin.gif

No offence taken mate, and in fact thank you for pointing this out to me. My posts will look better, and even I will be able to read them.

I have a tendancy to set my mind on the subject and go like the blazes, while its all fresh the way I want it.

Also, thank you for the kind words about my posts. It is good to hear a little praise, as my daughter teases me, saying that I am "a master of the obvious" biggrin.gif Going to crack the whip on her one of these days. biggrin.gif...Sam