Mid Wales

DE6

Hi all,

I'm looking for any information you have on lakes in and around Brecon, Mid Wales. Anyone out there got any hidden gems?

I have fished quite a few, but looking to try somewhere new, or even offer some new places to others.

Thanks.

Hi all,

I'm looking for any information you have on lakes in and around Brecon, Mid Wales. Anyone out there got any hidden gems?

I have fished the canal in Brecon, Llangorse Lake,and Ddaw Farm, but don't know of any other "coarse" waters around Brecon. Do you know of anymore?

I have fished the canal and the lake in Llangorse. Also fished some small private farms in and around Brecon but nothing special. Belfont lake near Crai has now closed. I have also tried the Spring Rock Fishery (carp) in Llandegley, but blanked twice.

I have done a lot of carp sessions at the Dderw in Llyswen, bit hit and miss but not too bad - supposed to be a 20+ in there, but yet to see it, my best there is 16 lb.

Found 2 smaller lakes on a farm in Painscastle - did a few days there last summer - caught tench to 5lb, some small roach, golden orfe to 5 lb and carp to 9 lb. It holds some very good golden orfe and the carp record is 27 lb, caught about 2 years ago. The farmer has got small breeding ponds as he used to farm salmon and trout, he claims there are a few left in the lakes (yet to be proven haha).

The only other place worth mentioning is a narrow lake in Trefecca, Talgarth. Found it last summer and it is a very good match lake. Large range in there - gudgeon, roach, dace, bream, tench, carp (mirror, common, crucian and koi). I really enjoyed fishing it, and had a lot of success there - best being a 14 lb mirror and a 19 lb common. It's a private lake, currently being extended so will be hoping to get back on it soon!

If you need any info for these let me know! Anyone else got any others?

[Very interseting reply. I know about the lakes at painscastle;how big do the golen orfe grow to. Interestingly enough, I fished the "long lake" at Talgarth last week. Could not get through the carp on floating bread, nothing bif though. Andy, the owner, says that ther are also chub and perch in it, as well as what youhave caught. Will give it another go. I'm going to try a lake on the top of the mountain at Pondie tommorrow. have heard there are some good fish in it. have you tried it?

Will let you know how I get on.

[Very interesting reply. I know about the lakes at Painscastle;how big do the golden orfe grow to. Interestingly enough, I fished the "long lake" at Talgarth last week. Could not get through the carp on floating bread, nothing big though. Andy, the owner, says that there are also chub and perch in it, as well as what you have caught. Will give it another go. I'm going to try a lake on the top of the mountain at Pondie tommorrow. Have heard there are some good fish in it. Have you tried it?

Will let you know how I get on.

The owner 'thinks' the orfe go to 7 lb in Painscastle. I'm off to Talgarth next week...Hereford tomorrow.

Think I spoke to someone about that lake in Ponde before, they thought it was a trout lake. Let me know whats there though, could be worth a go.

Not sure if you knew about it, but there used to be a good lake near Three Cocks/Velindre. Went there a few times when I was young, very good fishing. Roach, bream, tench, carp. I spoke to a friend last year who told me that the lake had been closed due to new ownership of the house/land. I'm hoping to find out about it this evening, would be interesting to see what its like now, there used to be a good stamp of fish in there! Cant remember the way there exactly, had a look on google maps, found something that resembled a lake, might see if I can get on there soon!

Only other I can say I've tried is a small farm in Sarnau, near Cradoc. Some OK roach and FULL of perch, only up to about 3 lb...majority being around 1 lb. The owner did however buy some grass carp, I caught one at 6 lb. They should have put on some weight over the last 2 years since I caught it, but it's not fished that often. It has unfortunately become over-powered with weed, resulting in only one clear area. They are hoping to have it all cleared soon, and then to introduce a few small carp which could be promising.

I have fished 2 lakes at the Dderw, the one near the house has gone down hill!...But the one over the road (the larger of the two), has picked up over the last 12 months. There is also a syndicate water there, behind the woods near the house....any info on it?

Dale.

Dale Again, thanks for the info. Will give the Painscastle Lake a look at in the warmer weather. The lake at Velindre is called the PLM lake, after the Adventure Group that uses it for kids. I fished it once 2 years ago. There are big bream and tench in it, though I only had small fish. The possion is now that it has closed to day tickets, and the house is used as a holiday let, and the lake/fishing comes with it, so I suppose that puts the end to that. I will be going on the lake at Pondie tommorrow, but I believe it is a coarse fishing lake. The pond at Sarnau sounds interesting. Also some ponds around Cradoc golf Club that I have heard about, any ideas?? Also, how about the lake by the road just off the B4558 at Abercynrig Mill, just outside Llanfrynach. believe it was a trout fishery, but did have some coarse fish in it?

Andy

Shame about the PLM. The only one around Cradoc I know is the Gludy, catch and release trout lake...very nice lake and some very good fish in it! Type it into google to look at their site.

No idea about the one near Llanfrynach though.

Do you know of anyone that is a syndicate member at the Dderw in Llyswen, I fancy giving it a go!

How did Ponde go today?

[Went to the lake at Ponde today. It is near some buildings at the end of a track on common land;very wild. A small 1 acre lake, with 2 islands, 6-7 foot deep. The owner says it was dug and stocked 6 years ago, then the man sold the property to the new owners. I had a lot of small roach, rudd, bream and perch on maggots, but think I could have had larger fish if I had taken bread. There are ment to be tench and dace as well, but no carp. I saw swirls from larger fish, so I expect there are some better fish from the original stocking. A nice, peaceful water, and £5 a day. As regards the syndicate at Dderw Farm, Carl at Mirthyr Angling could probably help you out with that. I'm not fishing now for a week, then I've booked a day on a water at Hay-On-Wye that the Wye and Usk Foundation have just added to there books, so I'll keep you informed.

Andy