The barbel handling code

Fred Bonney

Andy, How about a compromise?

Yep, I'm all for that

All canoes built in the ice age have free reign in the UK. Would that work? I'd even push Lutra "plastics". New canoes built in the manner and of the same materials as the ice age canoes could tag along. (Ohh, I guess the canoest would have to dress period too).

I really don't think there's any compromise to be had with the barbel fraternity. As far as they're concerned, canoe access to the Wensum and Hampshire Avon Rivers is illegal.

As it stands, canoeists will continue to ignore anglers on these rivers, and a stalemate impasse will perpetuate.

Edited by andy_youngs

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand Lutra. The link I posted about the Royalty Fishery asserts that barbel were first introduced into the Hampshire Avon in the early 1900's, and the first specimen was caught from the river in 1911. Under the Environment Agency's 150 year rule, they are therefore deemed non-native. Perhaps someone from the Environment Agency might like to confirm / deny?

And yes, we did have this one before. Unfortunately, this is what happens when people who live in glass houses start throwing stones. And so now, we're having it again. You may not recall me presenting any convincing evidence that barbel have been extinct in the Wensum since the end of the last ice age, but I don't recall you pointing out to anyone that the last ice age ended approximately 428,000 years ago, whilst just 12,000 years ago there was a land bridge between England and mainland Europe, and sea levels were some 120 metres lower than they are today.

And all the scientific evidence suggests that there have never been barbel in any of the westerly flowing rivers such as the Hampshire Avon.

And so far, nobody has offered any visibility over the stocking history of the Hampshire Avon. Why the secrecy?

Dunno, and you really seem to have no idea how little I care

I know you don't understand Andy, but that could be partly because you must have read a very different book on the last ice age to me. Also you might have mentioned the Hampshire Avon in your post, but i didn't.

I would hate to see what you are like when you do care Andy.

ps. The only thing that I'm bothered about today is that my kayaks stay on the roof rack and i don't forget my paddle. Barbel fishing and paddling on a very lame little river that I've never been to will not be in my head.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I know you don't understand Andy, but that could be partly because you must have read a very different book on the last ice age to me. Also you might have mentioned the Hampshire Avon in your post, but i didn't.

I would hate to see what you are like when you do care Andy.

ps. The only thing that I'm bothered about today is that my kayaks stay on the roof rack and i don't forget my paddle. Barbel fishing and paddling on a very lame little river that I've never been to will not be in my head.

Are you going to say anything of substance, or are you just waffling? Tell us something we want to hear, like the barbel stocking history of the Hampshire Avon. Please Lutra, either do that, or be quiet. This is what I'm like when I care about something.

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Are you going to say anything of substance, or are you just waffling? Tell us something we want to hear, like the barbel stocking history of the Hampshire Avon. Please Lutra, either do that, or be quiet. This is what I'm like when I care about something.

If you care Andy, start a thread or post on your thread about it and stop jumping on any thread with the word barbel in it looking for a fight.

This thread is about barbel handling i believe, so will you be quiet.

This thread is about Hugh Miles manipulating the truth, and misrepresenting my angling interests. I realise that my noise makes this uncomfortable for some, but no, I will not be quiet.

You haven't answered any of my questions. You have just tried to avoid them, which is visible to all.

This thread is about barbel handling i believe, so will you be quiet.

This thread started about barbel handling, but has since progressed through moral and financial corruption, bullying, and lying. And I will not be quiet.

Edited by andy_youngs

This thread started about barbel handling, but has since progressed through moral and financial corruption, bullying, and lying. And I will not be quiet.

No problem Andy, I'm off paddling, fishing and to chill with the world, so do as you like. :bigemo_harabe_net-183::fishing1::P:)

OK, having another look at this Lutra. It looks like it might be sensible to start another thread about these issues. Lutra / Fred, thanks for the debate (hopefully ongoing)

Hugh Miles / Martin Salter : care to join us?

I'll post another thread shortly which follows on from this. The objective will be that all antagonism from the canoe access dispute on the Wensum and Hampshire Avon gets put in a box, and left behind.