Rod advice

goonergeezer

Hiya, i have recently been given a Shakespeare mach 1 xt 13' match rod and want to know if it is suitable for fishing @ white springs fishery in south wales, i am not after monster carp but am more interested in going for the Bream, Perch roach etc, according to the website i am looking at 5lb + bream, is this rod up to the task? if not could any of you reccomend a cheapish rod?

Many thanks in advance

Gooner

Match rods are good all rounders, and shakespeares a good make. Just don't go fishing for pike or 40lb carp and you'll be fine :)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Yes that rod should be no problem at all. Shakespeare make some really nice rods for the money.

I have caught 90% of my fish on Match rods. Using 4lb line I have even caught fish up to the 8lb mark. Just play the fishes well and you will be ok. Alot better sport and more fun that a "Power Waggler" rod.

Tight Lines

Jason

06 Jaguar S Type 2.7 Twin Turbo V6D.

2012 Fish: Roach, Dace, Gudgeon, Perch, Eel, Bream/Roach Hybrid. Bream, Silver Bream, Carp, Pike.

Jas Uses: Drennan Rods, TFG Rods, Shimano Reels, Okuma Reels, 4lb & 3lb Maxima chameleon line, Drennan Double Strength 6lb line, Drennan Hooks to nylon 2lb to size 20 barbless & 1lb 10oz to size 22 barbless., Mustad hooks to nylon 3lb to size 16 barbless * 2lb 10oz to size 18 barbless, Drennan floats, Premier Floats, Middy Floats, Uni Floats, Camo Shot, Anchor Shot, Drennan & Middy Open Ended & Closed ended feeders, Unbranded ledger weights, Shakespeare seat boxes, Fox Tents and Luggage. Team Shakespeare Umbrellas And much, much more.

what reel are you using with the rod ?.

if you can, go for the mach 1 reel to match the rod and it will be a sweet little setup for what you intend to be fishing for :)

ive always been in favor of double handled reels i know the mach 3 comes with one as optional.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk