Music (or not)

Guest gray-catchpole

OK, I have a huge collection of music (starting around 1978) and it covers many thousands of records and CDs in just about any genre you care to mention with the possible exception of country, clasical & opera. I tend to buy anything that looks interesting but I love African and World music (especially Zimbabwe & South Africa) and as I get older I find myself being drawn more towards ambient and 'modern' folk (as opposed to the '2 bloke in Aran sweaters sitting on bar stools' type folk). Having said that, the last 3 CDs I bought were U2, Fatboy Slim & Joe Jackson!

My main passion however is the music of The Cocteau Twins and to a slightly lesser extent The Undertones. My Cocteau collection is my pride and joy (over 300 items so far), and that includes releases from all over the world both official and unofficial. However my current holy grail is the DAT release of their album Blue Bell Knoll. If anybody were to point me at a copy of this I would quite probably love them forever!

Top 3 recordings?

1. Song To The Siren - This Mortal Coil

2. Teenage Kicks - The Undertones

3. Pur - Cocteau Twins

davidP - the man in the anorak reading Record Collector wink.gif

[This message has been edited by davidP (edited 13 November 2000).]

Guest RobStubbs

I prefer rock or indy type bands but I don't tend to listen to lot of records (CD's) these days. I do go to gigs a fair bit though - went to see Therapy? a few ago for the 3rd time and saw Skunk Anansie at some small festival in london earlier this year. My current faves are probably the red hot chilli peppers or elastica though.

My favourite radio show has to be John Peel, and has been for years.

Rob.

Guest STEVE POPE

Hi all,

Off to see the Who at Wembley tomorrow night, thursday as well and the Albert Hall the week after.

Without any doubt the greatest live band there has ever been. Only the Stones come close.

Any other sad old 'oo fanatics out there?

Keep on rockin'

Steve

Guest fisherman

Bring back ( Mungo Jerry wink.gif) Status Quo, Led Zepplin, showing my age now smile.gifat least you could sing a long with most of the older groups.

Dave

"where did I go wrong" was that Dusty Springfield, now I'm really showing my age biggrin.gif I raised Matthew on the likes of Genisis, Quo, Dire Straights, Tina Turner, Meatloaf etc and, well I have in here CD's by the Beastie Boys, LL Cool J & yes somewhere Red hot chillie peppers. I also have Liam singing thing like, 'Check it now funk soul brother' eek.gif I had to get Matthew to translate that one as I couldn't understand what he was singing, no hope confused.gif

I like anything I can dance to basically. Steve no your not the only C & W fan I must admit I used to like it don't play it much these days, get out voted by the boys !! but I have seen Tammy Winette, Don Williams, Kenny Rogers etc

Oh I forgot to mention Bob Marley, and the Stones, (early) were the greatest, I could go on as I like so much.

Lyn

Guest Martin Salisbury

Looks like I've f***** it! as one of the young ones who likes big banging dance tunes i guess when i'm old i'll have no hearing or brain left.

oh well, just think what the world will be like in 50 years.

i'm not really into music much though so as the title reads "music (or not)" I'm (not)

Martin

Guest Steve Burke

Glad to find that Lyn at least is a country music fan. Any more of you? I assume Elton's comment means that in the UK it's still considered unfashionable to like country, or at least to admit to it.

Fashion never bothers me (as Peggy will confirm!), whether its music, clothes or whatever. What does amuse me however is designer clothes. You can pay up to 10 times as much for an identical garment just because it's got a designer label on it.

If someone wants to put a designer label on anything I buy, I wouldn't pay any extra at all. On the contrary I'd ask them how much they'd pay me to advertise their product!

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham/htm