Favourite Non-Fishing Books?

Guest Steve Burke

I'm not very good with words, that's reading or writing, so I don't read a lot.

I do like the SAS books though, Andy McNab (Bravo Two Zero), Chris Ryan (The one that got away), that sort of thing.

I'm a bit boring in thet respect, I'd rather sit down and study some war maps or photography.

Atb,

Gaffer,

Originally posted by Gaffer:

I'm not very good with words, that's reading or writing, so I don't read a lot.

I do like the SAS books though, Andy McNab (Bravo Two Zero),

Bet you haven't got a signed Andy McNab, though, like wot I have wink.gif It's not what you know...

atb,

Elton

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk

Originally posted by Elton:

Bet you haven't got a signed Andy McNab, though, like wot I have wink.gif It's not what you know..

Smartie Pants! tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 14 November 2000).]

I read too many text books. I sit in university lectures with foreign lecturers who have such dodgy accents i can't understand a thing. My thermodynamics lecturer goes on about 'wolumes in si lindas' confused.gif, he's Russian and my fluids lecturers always on about 'pwasant hedges' and 'flids' he's French :confused frown.gif???) Try understanding that with a hangover. That and really dull blokes conpletely lacking in personality, If anyones having trouble sleeping...

apart from that i'll read anything with not too many pages, fairly big letters, not too many words per page and nice coloured pictures.

Bretty wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Bretty (edited 14 November 2000).]

Guest david platt
Originally posted by Elton:

Steve,

Because I'm fortunate to have some friends in publishing, I get to read quite a lot of books that I wouldn't necessarily buy. As I said in a thread in the coarse forum, I've just read 'Castaway'. I then started reading a book called 'The Fig Eater', which I wasn't enjoying. Luckily, a fishing book then arrived in the post biggrin.gif

If I buy a book, then it's usually something factual. I like biographies and autobiographies. I also read quite a few 'lads' mags, such as FHM, Maxim, Loaded, etc..

Oh, and of course, my job means that I get to read quite a few things by Terry Pratchett smile.gif

All the best,

Elton

Hi Elton.

Errm er just wondering like,dont want to upset you, er but have you ever seen a receipt, you know like all these freebies you get chuck!t your way, I was just wondering if you would like to see one

Ive got one I could send it through the post

But I want It Back mind you

I wish I had time to read! with working all day & then getting home & starting again the only thing I have time to read are the posts on here biggrin.gif

lyn

P.S. One of my other hobbies I forgot to mention is collecting 1st editions ie from bootsale etc. I picked up a 1st ed of 'William Cobbetts - Rural Rides. As he came from Farnham as I do then I want to find time to read it. Perhaps when I'm bivvied up for the weekend, but then I'm usually to busy watching Liam eek.gif

Guest Wordbender

As a wild Gypsy kid in the '60s, my love of reading and writing didn't sit too well with the accepted pastimes of my peer group - snaring stuff, running lurchers, shooting, and every other rural pursuit - so I'd practise the 'accepted' stuff in the daylight, whilst covertly reading every book I could get my hands on.

Then, Gerald Durrell's 'My Family And Other Animals' became a set book at school and I was out of the closet. I've read every word he's written (sort of ten times'ish) and his easy style inspired me to try a few scribblings of my own.

These days I'm still a readaholic, consuming anything from Stephen King to Steven Fry, intermingled with soooooo many natural history books that I really don't have room for but can't bear to consign to the shed.

It's a physical impossibility for me to go to sleep without reading - even if I'm fishing. Sadly, I've yet to come to terms with the fact that it'll be ages before a new Harry Potter's released. It can get to you, this reading lark.

Take It Easy,

Terry.

I forgot to add, I do read every evening, to Liam. It's funny really as the stories I read to Liam a lot of them are the ones I used to read to Matthew. It's nice to know some things don't change!

Elton, Matthew used to be well into Terry Prachett, got him a discworld puzzle it was great but he used to get so mad with me for putting bits in when he wasn't around mad.gif

lyn