Bull Dung, Muddyfunsters!

Guest Elton

Whilst I was away on my holiday, another website rang one of my mates in the tackle trade trying to get some advertising out of him. He told them that I look after his site at the moment, as he hasn't the technological knowledge or contacts. I'm not sure which site it was yet, but I know a few who it definitely wasn't. Many of you may not realise, but there's quite a good rapport between most of us with sites and we always try to lend each other a hand and general support when we can. That includes some of the fully-blown commercial sites, many of which are run by anglers who would help you out in the same way that they would help you land a fish or give you a hook if you'd forgotten yours. There are, as always, one or two exceptions.

"We've got a higher readership than him," came the reply.

Three things:

1. How the hell do they know what the readership here is? I've mentioned hits before, but hits doesn't equal readership and they know that - they just choose not to tell the people they're ripping off the whole facts. Sheesh, I've even sen sites where the hit rate goes up as you read the page due to a bit of 'cunning' banner coding. Naughty, naughty.

2. So what?

3. I also called in a few favours and had the whole site built, including multiple domain registration, secure Thawte facilities and shopping cart system for no cost to the shop involved. Do commercial sites understand this concept?

I don't normally get out of my pram over stick - I put up with a bit and enjoy it. I've actually made some good friends through it, especially when I feel that it is done with good intent and in an adult way.

What I abhor is downright lies by those intent upon ripping off the angling trade, who are already under enough financial pressure. Sheesh, how many local tackle shop owners drive round in Bentleys, eh? Those lies are even more abhorrent to me when they involve me without my knowledge. I'd love to hear what these people say to other potential advertisers!

I have an idea as to which site did this, and if it's the one I think it is, then the comments they made are even more laughable. I'm not going to say who, so don't even ask....just chuckle along with me smile.gif

Right, rant over, I'm now signing off to do some more free work for people. We've got a load of SACN stuff to get ready and a couple of clubs want free sites. I do charge small amounts to commercial enterprises if I think they'll get a return on it, but I just love this word 'Free'. I can imagine all the accountants cringing every time I mention it. Well, wake up and smell the coffee boys - the likes of me, Jaybee and many others have been doing things for free for years. Even when we do charge, it's generally less than a 10th of what you charge. Free, free, free, free, free.....with a little bit for beer, yeah? tongue.gif

Elton

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk

Guest Wordbender

You all right, Murph? smile.gif

Seems like you just splashed vinegar on yer wossname. I bet if I'd understood that rant, I'd be narked on your behalf an'all. Probbly.

Oi - whoever you are! Don't take the tningy wiv me mate Elton, or we sends da boys raan'.

Sorted. Er... I fink.

Ho-hum and very possibly, diddly-dee.

Terry

Guest Steve Randles

Elton et al,

Tis why we are all on your site, not on others!!!

Very small, not in your face ads, no pressure to do this and that, visit here and there etc etc...

This is without a doubt the BEST fishing site on the net, and long may it remain so!!!

I just hope that one day, you at least break even wink.gif

------------------

Tight Lines

Steve Randles